Flash Drive not recognized

I did a search and I couldn't find anything on this, so my apologies if it's redundant, but...

Is anyone having issues with playing music from a flash drive? My sync will read it just fine, but then all of a sudden it will say USB device not recognized.

I took it to the dealer, and they said it was an issue with software on the flash drive, not a SYNC issue. Well I've had this happen with a few different flash drives now, different brands, playing different software.

Easy fix is attach it to the computer and wipe it clean, then re-download the backup music files back onto the flash drive. Works fine after that.

Just more of a pain in the butt than anything.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Nothing to do with software on the drive...I get this from time to time and if you disconnect and reconnect sometimes it works sometimes not. Sometimes a restart of the system works but really it just seems random. I have even had it say it wasn't recognized then randomly switch audio from another source to USB and work fine. I think this is just another one of the MFT quirks.

Instead of just assuming it is just some random MFT problem, have you actually tried troubleshooting? Reading the syncmyride.com FAQ's there are some special requirements on USB sticks: http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/FaqManagement/FaqList.aspx?tagId=102

I have never had a problem with a USB drive on my MFT, pre update or not. It helps to read.

Instead of just assuming it is just some random MFT problem, have you actually tried troubleshooting? Reading the syncmyride.com FAQ's there are some special requirements on USB sticks: http://www.syncmyrid....aspx?tagId=102

I have never had a problem with a USB drive on my MFT, pre update or not. It helps to read.

Well if this was directed at me maybe you should read. The OP stated that the drive is recognized at some point then stops, I confirmed such errors. The link you provided only discusses how to connect and what is required not why a drive would connect some times and others not. And yes this has been discussed with SMR, IVT, the regional manager and the local dealer. According to them the system is fine and they can find no problems. I have not seen this happen as frequently with the updated software but it still happens. What I have seen is that it write protects my drive and to change the drive contents I need to reformat first and start over. Again, my vehicle was just in this week and the dealer claims all hardware is 100% but did say they are aware of the bugs and they are still working on it.

Spongers I have read through that already. That was actually the first thing I read through when troubleshooting.

It was not much help at all. It merely points out compatibility issues, file types it can read, etc.

Not once does it point out inconsistencies with the flash drive reading fine, then it being abruptly unrecognized.

It helps to read.

Edited by ChiEdge

My post was aimed at making sure you realized an improperly formatted USB stick COULD cause inconsistent errors as both of you have reported. If you follow the directions and guidance on the FAQ's you should not have any problems. Computers can be finicky about format type (as wlepse pointed out FAT32, FAT and NTFS are VERY different and some computers cannot read one type over the other), drive size (I have noticed anything over 32GB causes errors with SYNC, 16GB seems to be the sweet spot). That is what I was getting at. Sorry for the bluntness I just get peeved when people blame the product when they don't fully realize they are not using the product correctly, or using pieces that are fully supported. And yes, the things I mentioned here can cause inconsistencies, not just outright failure to read all the time.

But to your point if you format in the correct format it shouldn't matter the size of the drive (if supported by format). So with that said if a 16GB and 32GB drive are both formatted the same way and one is less reliable this IS an issue with MFT. The same drives will function flawlessly on any computer you connect them to so again this points to some sort of bug or deficiency in the MFT.

I even had the drive not recognized error with the Ford 2GB flash drive they sent with the update. And acccording to my dealer my system tests out OK. I still think I have a hardware issue, whether it be an actual bad part or just a bad combination of parts that doesn't quite work with the software....like a bad driver. It is the only way I can make sense of this since 2.8 was relatively stable for us, 2.11 was horrible and so far 3.02 (or what ever they call it) is as stable as 2.8 but is slightly buggier. Or at least more consistent bugs...maybe that is a feature then. :) But the drive issue was somewhat present in 2.8, very prevalent in 2.11 and eventually just stopped all together and 3.02 is about the same as 2.8 but now write protects my drive.

Edited by wlepse

I've just recently had the same thing start happening to me. It happens with a USB 16GB FAT32 flash drive, and an SD8GB card. Playing fine, and then all of a sudden I get the message that the drive is not recognized. For unrelated issues, just had the car into the dealer, and they verified the system checks out OK. BTW, I can still access my iPod OK.

Yes When this happens you have to go through a few steps to get it playing. First step... push the USB button on your entertainment screen... Then push the browse button on the bottom right side of the screen. Choose the music button and there you have it!!! Please stop messing with the USB drives.. They are all fine. :)

Yes When this happens you have to go through a few steps to get it playing. First step... push the USB button on your entertainment screen... Then push the browse button on the bottom right side of the screen. Choose the music button and there you have it!!! Please stop messing with the USB drives.. They are all fine. :)

I have seen forcing the issue insisting that the drive is recognized does sometimes work but I have also seen where it will go to browse and music only to see it list zero artists and songs. It also seems to do this randomly, meaning not just at start up. When I described this to tech support int he past they were aware of the problem but seemed to have no solution other than say they had a complete rewrite coming. Now that I have the rwrite the dealer says they are still working on it.

wlepse, I have it formatted to FAT32. And yes, it does seem to happen randomly. It's happened to me before between songs, at startup, etc.

I too have attempted to browse when this has happened, and it was blank every time.

There is definitely an issue with MFT here, and it's frustrating that my dealer wouldn't even acknowledge it.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Keep pushing with the dealer and Ford, some that have had issues like this have gotten things fixedor made significantly better by getting a new APIM. For me this hasn't worked and they still claim everything is functioning normally. I wish this were the case but I stillget a bunch of random errors but I would say most are with USB and Nav.