Hitch and folding cargo carrier.

Does anyone have the Draw-tite 75709 installed? Just curious if it hits or pushes the fascia up at all? Was going to get the Curt, but i dont think i want to drill holes in the frame for the extra two bolts it uses... Also, anyone have a folding cargo carrier? Just wondering which one will not hit the bumper when folded up? I read the DeeZee DZ760083 is the only one that will not hit the bumper when folded up... Anyone think i could install the Curt and just not install the bolts that have to be drilled? It would, in essence be just like the Hidden hitch and Draw-Tite beacuse they would all be just utilizing the same holes. i will only be using the hitch with the folding carrier, i will never be towing with it.

I just ordered mine, I hope to get it next week. I'll be taking photos and documenting the install. When I was looking for hitches, I liked the Curt, I didn't like the hole I'd have to cut out. As for the extra drilling, that is also why I didn't get the cheaper Draw-Tite pro series, where you would have to drill 2 extra hole to accomodate the 6 bolts. I will not be towing, and just attaching a bike rack to the hitch, but you never know when you need to actually hook up a trailer, so I recon I better do it right the first time.

I have the Curt without the other two holes drilled but I will be doing it this summer. I think so long as your tongue weight is low you'd be OK. I held off since I had fitment issues witht he first one and wanted to make sure this one was clunk free before I modified the car. As for a folding tray I posted a thread a while back about the same thing. I started looking into them but noticed they all had very short shanks. I was all set to get a Curt since I was very happy with their paint quality and welds but it won't clear the bumper. Etrailer did make a recommendation but then I remembered the problem I had last year. The exhaust tips are at the same level as the tray. So now I am looking to get a riser that will clear the bumper or I pick up a receiver tube from Harbor Frieght and weld it to a 2" to 1 1/4" adaptor I have. This way I can raise the tray level 2-4". If I do this then any folding cargo carrier will work.

On the etrailer.com website, its indicates that the Curt C13067 has a 5 1/2 inch gap from the center of the hitch pinhole to the outermost point of the bumper. The website also states that the DeeZee DZ760083 folding cargo carrier measures 6" from hitch pin hole center to edge of carrier when folded.

Ā 

So, this setup should work giving a 1/2 inch gap when the carrier is folded up...

Ā 

Question is does the Draw-Tite have the same 5 1/2 inch gap or is it smaller, because i like the fact that it only uses four bolts and there is no need to drill into my frame? Or i may just use the Curt and not install the extra two bolts that you have to drill for. I really dont think it will ever end up being a problem because i will never be towing with this, all i will ever be using it for is with the carrier when vacationing.

Ā 

Anyone have thoughts on this?

I know the Valley version I had was at least an inch further back, but I don't know about the others. But as I mentioned above really look at what you are planning on carrying. I had a cargo bag melt from the exhaust last year, so I would highly recommend you look at either a cargo carrier that has a rise built in or buy a riser.

That 2" might be enough but really it depends on what you are putting back there. If they are not sensitive to temp then it doesn't matter. I just mention it since the cargo bag I bought it questionable at this point from last years trip. But I really doubt that DeeZee is going to clear the bumper when folded. I see the spec you mention listed but if you look at like the 5th pic, it doesn't look like you have that much clearance to me. The rails are supposed to be over 6" so if you kind of scale off that I don't even think there is 6" of shank let alone clearance.

Ā 

But yes this does get confusing. That is why I may just get the riser or weld one up then get whatever folding carrier I find a deal on.

Here is my Draw-Tite 75709 installed

Ā 

Draw-Tite Hitch

Ā 

It took about 2 hours by myself and figuring things out. The rubber hangers are a pain to remove, but I got it done. Very happy with the outcome. A detailed install guide to be posted soon.

• 1 month later...