Edge/MKX and Edmunds review

rick65

I and I’m sure others that are interested in either the Edge or the MKX are concerned about the Edmunds review concerning the brakes.

What will be more of an issue for the average Lincoln customer, however, is the MKX's poor braking performance. Weight is the enemy and the MKX carries its enemy on its back. The all-wheel-drive Ford Edge SEL we recently tested stopped from 60 mph in 152 feet — a very poor performance. The MKX isn't likely to do any better since it uses the same four-wheel disc brakes with standard ABS and weighs slightly more.

Worse, one feels how overmatched the MKX brakes are in day-to-day street driving. Typical braking situations turn quickly from, "Oh, the guy up there is turning left, I'll begin applying the brakes" to "Whoa!"

As far as I’m concerned this is a BIG minus for both vehicles. I do plan of test driving both vehicles as a consideration for replacing my trouble prone 2004 Explorer Limited.

Is braking going to become an issue for these vehicles that will have to be addressed by NHTSA? I surely hope the concerns of potential customers for these vehicles are addressed by Ford immediately.

If it isn’t, and complaints to NHTSA start being sent in and posted on the NHTSA website with the potential for recalls will become another nail in Ford coffin.

What ever happened with “Quality is Job One” or “FORD – Has a Better Idea”

I did a bunch of searching on the web, and this review is the only mention of braking distance at all. That includes the MKX. All I can say is wait until you get more information from other places before concluding the brakes suck.

If I had to guess, the MKX should be right between a 500 and an Explorer as far as braking goes. If anything, closer to the Explorer because it's weight is closer. Keep in mind, this vehicle has a lot more weight than a Fusion or 500. Just because it's based on the Fusion framework, don't expect the same performance.

I did a little more digging. Just on comparing the Edge to other Fords. I found an article about the CVPI and braking. This car comes in at almost exactly the same weight as the Edge when loaded with the usual law enforcement equipment. The site I did was comparing police packages. The Crown Vic came in at 148 feet braking from 60-0. So that isn't far off the 152 you mentioned. This test really heated the brakes up too. So I'm not sure if the 152 was hot brakes or cool brakes.

Comparing to and Explorer (more SUV like) the Explorer was one of the best braking out of all SUV's. The 2wd 4.0 liter version is 4400 lbs. Very close to the Edge. That did 142ft, with cold brakes. They didn't mention hot brakes though.

So all in all, the braking is about normal for that sized a vehicle. Do I wish it was better? Of course. But out of all the reviews, no one except this review mentioned the braking distance. And none of the other reviews didn't like the brakes. If it was mentioned at all, the response was that it was basically adaquate. So I'm not going to worry about it. It won't be any worse than my 92 Grand Marquis or my 03 SCrew.

Aside from Edmunds, there is another magazine that reported on the Edge's brakes as not being up to par. I cannot remember which one right now though.

Then again, magazines have attacked the Fusion's 3.0L engine as being weak while owners themselves are happy with it.

I seen on Car and Driver that they say from 0-70 mph it will stop in 191 ft. Seen here http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/1186...dict-page2.html