2 questions - from a girl :)

kelli1b

I have a 2011 Ford Edge SEL and have a couple of questions I am hoping someone can help me with:

1. I am going on a camping trip soon and need to have a DC to AC power inverter as my daughter has asthma and we may need to use her nebulizer (and air up my air mattress haha) Is it ok to use an inverter? Will it void the warranty or anything (my biggest concern)? Should I use it while the car is running or is it ok to use it while the car is off?

2. My Edge came with a tow package and we started looking at little teardrop campers. Then my friends scared me to death and said it wasn't the engine I had to worry about but ruining the transmission. Needless to say I stopped looking at them :( Can anyone advise on towing issues?

I have had multiple problems with my Edge, oddly enough not too many with the MFT. Had to have my power steering pump replaced within 3 months as well as having to replace a rear engine motor mount (trying to read off of my service paper - hope that is right) as my car made a squealing noise as I turned corners (now its doing it again) and this stupid cover above my rear view mirror was also replaced last year and now its broken again. Also had a few visits for MFT issues but nothing I cannot live with. I do love my car but frustrated with the frequent visits to Ford. Sorry kind of got off my question topic :) Would really love any advice you have to offer on my questions!

As Dingo mentioned you can use an inverter and it won't void your warranty. Just be careful that you read the labels carefully. Most will quote the surge capacity most prominently, the smaller wattage rating is the what it can output constantly. While most have controls built in to keep you from running down your battery you are better off running the car just to be safe. It seems the quality of these units is very hit and miss even within the same brand so I don't trust the safety features. One other recommendation is to try her nebulizer on it before you leave. Most of these units put out a modified sine wave and some electronics don't like it. I would think the nebulizer would be fine but that isn't something you want to take a risk with.

Also as Dingo mentioned I wouldn't worry about towing. While the Edge wouldn't be my first choice to do some heavy towing, what you are describing is well within the capabilities of the vehicle. Just go out and enjoy some time with your daughter.

As a side note, does your vehicle make a hooting noise while turning right especially at slow speed? If so there is a TSB for that and all they have to do is bend a heat shield. We had it done to ours. No problems since.

• 1 month later...

If you have the towing package that came from the factory ( as an option) , it includes an additional transmission cooler. It also has the sway control that uses the brakes the automatically assist in keeping the trailer from swaying. You can go the the Ford site, where you can "build" the car on their site. Select the trailer package and it will explain was is included. By the way Ford has hidend the wire harness under the rear bumper, to the left of the hitch. It comes with a cover so it's a little hard to find.

I tow a 16' motor boat with no problem at all. Once on your way, you forget you are towing a trailer.

Have a great and safe trip.

Oakplank