Possible to install side/cross-sensors after the fact?

Anything can be done, just a matter of how much it will cost. My guess is this is one of those that will be very expensive. Even if the wiring is in place for the sensors in the back, you'd need to get it programmed and the mirrors swapped out. Again not sure if the wiring is there for the blind spot monitoring. You also might want to poke around looking for problems regarding this system. As I recall several people have posted about blocked sensor errors. Not sure this is worth the risk of spending all that money and not getting it working right.

Yeah I did Google and I have seen people having problems with the factory installed version. But I was curious anyway since accessories.ford.com sells the rear and front systems (and there are after-market places like eBay and Amazon which also sell them).

So I thought I'd ask here in case anyone knew anything about parts or if wiring harnesses are already in place or any other info.

Thanks.

Well it seems like the sensors in the front and rear bumpers are fairly trouble free, but the rear cross path/blind spot ones have had some issues. My guess is the harness isn't there since they didn't put the harness in for the vertical LED lights on the SE's.

• 2 weeks later...

My '08 Edge didn't come with the back-up sensors, but I had the dealer put them in. They work all right, but I can't depend entirely on them, unfortunately. I may look at the wiring.

If I remember right, the salesman said it's usually about $200, but I made him throw it in the deal when I purchased the car.

Edited by wannabang