Since the recent purchase of my '08 Edge, the first car I've bought, I have installed WeatherTech floor liners, and am now on to bigger things. I aim to have this done by the time I start school in the fall. Enjoy the pics!

Here she is:

CarinDriveway.jpg

And the weathertech's:

WeatherTechFront.jpg

WeatherTechRear.jpg

The audio plans:

HU: Pioneer AVH-P2400BT

Speakers: stockers for now

Sub: SSA Icon 15

Amp: Cadence ZRS-7500D

I'll be tinting the windows. 50% on top of factory privacy tint and I'm still undecided about the front. I can't decide if 35% will be too light, or if I'm willing to risk being pulled over for 20%. I've heard quite a few people from near my campus that have been pulled over for it.

I'm also contemplating HIDs, but will definitely be doing reverse, turn-signal, interior, and fog LEDs.

Today, I'll be replacing my stock HU with this:

P7260006.jpg

P7260007.jpg

It's a Pioneer AVH-P2400BT. I'll be using KnuKonceptz Karma SS RCA cables.

KnuRCAs.jpg

I'll post more pictures of the installation later today.

Edited by wannabang

After 4 hours of struggling to program the steering-wheel-control-connector piece, trying to wire 30 dozen wires, trouble shooting, and searching new and lost screws, I have the HU installed.

brighterhuoff.jpg

dashandhuon.jpg

The floor afterward...

carfloorafterinstall.jpg

The one dilemma I have is: where to put the mic for the hands-free calling... any suggestions?

Oh, and that's my buddy. He was my extra pair of hands for tonight.

micanddylan.jpg

Last night, I figured out where to establish the mic. Originally, I though to put in the a-pillar, but........

P7290009.jpg

The pillar lays under this panel on the dash and....

P7290008.jpg

that pillar lays under this one, which is under the door sill, so I decided to change plans... mostly because I'm lazy.

I ran the wire above the pedals and across. It is zip-tied to the big yellow wad of wires.

P7290015.jpg

Then I found this nifty, removable piece hiding the fuse box.

P7290014.jpg

And I tucked the excess wire away behind it. You can kinda see it wrapped up here.

P7290018.jpg

And the new location of the mic is.........!!!!

P7290010.jpg

P7290012.jpg

P7290013.jpg

This is what I've got so far. The box will be fitting up against the small plateau with the handle in front (near the liftgate) and screwed in on the bottom in the two boxes below the floor. The box below the floor on the right will go next to the spare, which will be in the middle, and it will hold a jack and jumper cables. The box on the left will be for tools, a flashlight to remove the box should I ever have to get to the spare, yeah, it will be heavy, and torward the bx I hope to squeeze the secondary battery... Oh yeah, the middle part is separate from the other two box "lids" and will be on hinges, to operate similarly to the stock floor and there is another piece running along the back of the boxes all the way across to support the box more. Port would most likely on top (might try my hand at kerfing the port), sub facing back. I'm debating taking time to put a window in top, but probably won't happen. The box (not shown) will come up to the bottom of the headrests, span the whole width, and come back to the trim indent around the stock sub's panel design. If I can afford it, I'll try to carpet the floor, but I don't intend on carpetting the box.

EdgeBoxFalseFloor.jpg

Planned box dimensions.

External: 21"H x 42"W x 14.5"D

Port: 13"H x 4"W x 30"L

Ends up being 4.16 cu.ft. with 52 sq.in. of port. << I know that's kinda small, but it's sufficient and I'm trying to keep the box big. Tuned to 29, and now I want to decide if it will be a typical "L"-shape port or a "Z" (accordion style) shaped port.

Comments?

I have completed my box design and have a call in to the tint shop. Tell me what you think!

The small rectangle cut into the front of the floor toward the left is a spot for the battery. I intend on having a piano hinge along the middle piece of the floor and the two, smaller, side boxes will open and sit below where the stock floor sat. I decided I wouldn't have time to kerf or do the window with the time restrictions I have, and still have time for the girl, work, and school preparation. I think the smaller box on the right will fit all the tools I'll need along with the jumper cables, since I feel like the box on the left will be too crowded with the cables to and from the battery. I hope to carpet everything but the box, and all of it will be removable to get to the spare. The box will be a separate piece and the rest will be another piece. The amp will be screwed into the back of the box and the wires run under the floor. Should be pretty neat, but very time consuming.

EdgeBoxFalseFloor-1.jpg

Another package came the other day.

20120806_091341.jpg

20120806_091414.jpg

20120806_091439.jpg

So it's Knu KCA, CCA 1/0 gauge, because I'm cheap. Only 25', but I was stunned at how heavy and thick this wire was. Up until now, I had only held 4 gauge. Those pictures were taken with my Galaxy S3. I love this phone.

On another note, I just ordered HIDs from retro-solutions.

Edited by wannabang

Some progress on the box:

20120810_210530.jpg

^^ Those will be the cubbies below the floor, if you recall from the SketchUp model.

Here they are placed in the back, around the spare. As you can see, the boxes don't allign perfectly with the support piece that runs along the back (although, they're just thrown in, not attatched), since I found some metal piece that was in the way, so I have to take some more measurements to get the floor to fit right.

20120811_153104.jpg

AND THEN!

...apparently I thought it was safe to put more than half the box's weight off the edge of the table... and BOOM!

20120811_155557.jpg

It might have done more damage had I not been laying underneath it (drilling some pilot holes). I caught the part that would have hit my face, but this corner would have hit the concrete... had my ankle not been there to save it... big bruise...

At the end of a couple hours, I had the two cubbies and two walls of the box up.

backbottomsideofbox.jpg

More to come, y'all.

Since I'm taking it upon myself to ignore power tools while I'm taking hydrocodone, I'll use today to post the pictures of the progress from yesterday.

Got the under-floor completed. All that's left to do here is get 3 different hinges, that I'll have to order, carpet it, attach a couple pieces of wood to the spare-tire side of the cubbies to support the middle hatch lid.

20120812_163331.jpg

The cubbies' edges were rounded to prevent them from scraping the plastic, and in the process gained them a little room from the plastic. The spare tire also has some wiggle room.

20120812_163419.jpg

20120812_163341.jpg

Then I got to assembling more of the box. I'm going with a chrome port and plan on staining the plywood baffle to match the box, which will be painted a light tan to match the interior. I was between chrome and black, but there's no black on the car, so I figured chrome would be different, but still match the stain.

20120812_185037.jpg

20120812_195732.jpg

IMG_20120812_202600.jpg

That's only one coat, with no sanding. Gotta pick up some 200 grit sand paper, and some wet sand paper to make that stuff shine. I'll be back to work on the box tomorrow if the swelling from the surgery goes down and I'm not too messed up from the hydrocodone. Getting your wisdom teeth out sucks. Also had the tissue under my tongue cut since I was clincally tongue-tied, but the doctor was really surprised I didn't have a speech impediment. LoL. More to come, y'all.

I'm not sure. It will be one 4x8 of 3/4" MDF, one 4x8 of 1/2" Plywood, a 37 lbs subwoofer, and a ~15 lbs amplifier. I had all the wood and the amp in the other day and it didn't drop the back at all, so I think it should be pretty safe. Why do you ask? If the car was filled with five adults, I'd say the weight would be similar to having a sixth in there. Needless to say, I don't think I will have a problem with traction this winter. LoL

I could be completely wrong but it seems like it should be fairly heavy. That is why I was asking. I remember building sub boxes back in my early 20's and they could get heavy in a hurry. I was really just curious if you had an idea on how much weight you would be adding. I am seriously considering doing a different box in mine (still keeping it all under the storage floor) but using up the rest of the empty and unused space in order to run another shallow mount 12" sub. Although the Pioneer SW3001 hits pretty low and hard I would like to use an additional sub for the grin factor. :spend:

I wish you continued success with your build. It should turn out really nice and of course it should sound really nice.

Chris

Very kind of you, thanks! The only problem I may run into is getting the floor to match up with the side. It appears that I will have a 3/8" gap there. Maybe when I carpet it, it won't be too bad.

**Edit** I'll have more pictures at the end of today. Got the port finished yesterday, paint's done as well, about to go pick up some carpet.

Edited by wannabang

Got some pictures and some more stuff in the mail!

20120818_112800.jpg

20120818_112831.jpg

20120818_112813.jpg

20120818_112742.jpg

20120818_210910.jpg

20120818_212907.jpg

Also got the XS Power XP950. That thing is a compact monster.

And for the baffle, these are the stains we had layin' around the house. I ended up picking the one of the left to make the chrome pop a little more and contrast the tan best.

20120818_112453.jpg

Should be wired and carpeted by Monday. More to come y'all..