New 2011 Edge Limited-1,000 Mile Impression...

Ungo

Well, after much searching I traded in my 2002 Ford Taurus and bought a left over new Silver 2011 Edge Limited FWD a few weeks ago and got a great deal. It has a bunch of features I would have never bought, but I couldn't pass up the offer. After 1,000 miles here are my impressions so far..

I love the color, but I will admit it was my second choice because the 2011 blue Ford used was amazing. Looked high and low but no luck. Either way it still looks slick, and at least with silver I can keep it looking clean easier. My Edge came with 20" Chrome wheels, which I wouldn't have bought, but it was a left over so I was stuck. They don't look bad to me from a distance, but I notice the size when I'm up close. Everyone else tells me they look amazing, so I guess it is just a personal preference thing. I told the dealer I would just do a even swap with someone if they sold someone who bought the 18"s in chrome. If that doesn't happen I will end up selling them later down the line and going to 18"s for look reasons and economic reasons.

The Edge ride is amazing. It accelerates quickly and has an extremely smooth ride. Sometimes I don't even realize how fast I'm going until I look down. When I test drove the Edge a few times, it was always on a model with the 18" wheels. The smoothness of the ride is barely noticeable between the two. The seats are very comfortable and is very roomy inside. I just went camping this last weeked and with the seats folded down, I was able to fit everything without jamming it in like sardines like I used to. I was in the vehicle for about 2 hours and was comfortable the whole time. Also love the depth of the middle compartment and the little cubby hole thing under the MFT computer, and the placement of the power adapter things. Two in the front, one in the backseat, and one in the trunk area. Nice touch.

I haven't had any problems with the MFT so far. Everything seems to run like it is supposed to, and the menus are pretty easy to navigate. I'm pretty sure most of the kinks were worked out on that last update. The Climate controls work great and are also easy to use. I usually leave it on AUTO and it works fine for me. I've used the NAV only a few times and it seems like something I need to get used to. After I get my destination set and turn off the annoying voice, it works great, but I still have trouble getting to that point. I love the Sony sound system that is installed, and it sounds amazing no matter what the source is. I've only had the volume about halfway up, and it sounds loud and great, so I'm afraid of what it is capable of at max volume. As for the ambient lighting, I love it. I work afternoons, so it is always dark when I get off. The dark blue looks great when it lights up the inside cabin.

I've only had a few problems thus far with my Edge. After 1,000 miles I'm only averaging 18 mpg. However, I will wait to pass judgement completely until it has a few thousand miles on it and is broken in. I also had a problem last week where I was cruising at 60 mph, and the car started RPM'ing between 3,5000 and 4,000. I pulled over, restarted the car, and it stopped. Later that day when I got back on the highway it did it again, and stopped once I pulled over and restarted. Both times I checked to make sure I was in D, and checked the instrument cluster to see if I turned overdrive off somehow. I haven't had the problem since, so at this point I'm going to chalk it up as an isolated incident until it happens again. The only other problem that someone else noticed was that the front passenger door isn't aligned properly. It seems to shut fine, and you can't hear wind on that side, but it isn't uniform like the drivers side. It sticks out less than a half an inch. I plan to take it to the dealer to get it fixed soon hopefully.

The only other things I don't like on the Edge is when you are driving, the car isolates what you can do on the NAV and on your phone. My lady friend during our last trip was in the passengers seat, and had her phone hooked up, but couldn't do anything with the NAV or phone. Ford should of added something that lets the MFT features be used by the passenger if the car is moving. I also think the liftgate should have some sort of sensor on it so someone doesn't get smashed (as in children). This Edge is loaded with safety features-won't let you mess with NAV or phone when driving, smart keys, etc, but someone can touch the liftgate button and get hit with it as it comes down. Oh, and WHERE IS THE GLOVEBOX LIGHT? Geez. My 96' and 02' Ford both had them, and wern't nearly as expensive, so I find it silly that they didn't include it.

Overall I love my new Edge and would buy it again if I had the choice!

Edited by Ungo

Interesting you mention the wheels. I like the 20" wheels up close on a stationary Edge but, at a distance out on the road, IMHO they change the look of the vehicle dramatically in a way that doesn't appeal to me. The best way I can describe it is that the Edge looks as if it's on 'stilts'. I feel the same way about other vehicles... the Chrysler Aspen comes to mind.

Of course, I am in an area where only about 1 in 20 vehicles has custom wheels so I'm not used to the 'jacked up' look of big wheels.