Tires & Temperature

Good_Hands

Ok...so we all know that it is best to check the tire pressure before you have driven the car.

And...we all know that you shouldn't drive on under or over inflated tires.

Now people are filling their tires with nitrogen. There are a few advantages to this of course; nitrogen works better when the humidity is higher.

Has anyone used Nitrogen in their tires?

For those who live in colder environments, what about air in the winter and nitrogen in the summer?

Ok...so we all know that it is best to check the tire pressure before you have driven the car.

And...we all know that you shouldn't drive on under or over inflated tires.

Now people are filling their tires with nitrogen. There are a few advantages to this of course; nitrogen works better when the humidity is higher.

Has anyone used Nitrogen in their tires?

For those who live in colder environments, what about air in the winter and nitrogen in the summer?

I've had great success with a 78% Nitrogen mix. It works fine and it's readily available. :shades:

Costco used nitrogen on the last set of tires on the Aviator. Couldn't tell any difference. It does hold less water and supposedly doesn't expand as much when heated but unless you're in a NASCAR race I don't think you'll notice the difference.

BTW - add 4 lbs to the cold pressure to get the hot pressure (in case you have to check them after driving).

I've had great success with a 78% Nitrogen mix. It works fine and it's readily available. :shades:

Costco used nitrogen on the last set of tires on the Aviator. Couldn't tell any difference. It does hold less water and supposedly doesn't expand as much when heated but unless you're in a NASCAR race I don't think you'll notice the difference.

BTW - add 4 lbs to the cold pressure to get the hot pressure (in case you have to check them after driving).

I read someplace that the biggest reason for nitrogen is that it doesn't hold moisture that can damage wheels & the TPMS.

I read someplace that the biggest reason for nitrogen is that it doesn't hold moisture that can damage wheels & the TPMS.

That is true about the moisture. None of my vehicles have TPMS so that isn't a concern. And I've never seen a wheel with moisture problems on the inside. So while I'm sure it's a legitimate claim I'm not sure it makes a difference in the real world.

And yes - air is 78% nitrogen - that's what I've been using.