Tire Brand on 2008 Limited with 18" Wheels ?

jamers1

Hey Folks,

I know the 20" wheels will come with Pirelli's but I'm starting to have second thoughts. I actually placed my order last wheels with 20" rims. I still have plenty of time to make a change. I'm driving a '07 Demo now for an overnight road test and I have so say the 18" Chrome Clad Wheels look very nice and do fit the Edge well. It's making me wonder if the extra cash for the 20" is really a necessity. And before some of you say "Just go for it dude", please consider I'm already getting the DVD Nav and DVD Ent so I'm pushing my budget. My primary concern with the 18"' is the tire brand. The 2007 Edge wasn't known for having the best tires.

Since the '08 is due to start being built in about 10 days I'm guessing the tires may already be sitting around at the plant so I was hoping someone could provide a definitive answer as to the brand. Thanks in advance.

Edited by jamers1

Hey Folks,

I know the 20" wheels will come with Pirelli's but I'm starting to have second thoughts. I actually placed my order last wheels with 20" rims. I still have plenty of time to make a change. I'm driving a '07 Demo now for an overnight road test and I have so say the 18" Chrome Clad Wheels look very nice and do fit the Edge well. It's making me wonder if the extra cash for the 20" is really a necessity. And before some of you say "Just go for it dude", please consider I'm already getting the DVD Nav and DVD Ent so I'm pushing my budget. My primary concern with the 18"' is the tire brand. The 2007 Edge wasn't known for having the best tires.

Since the '08 is due to start being built in about 10 days I'm guessing the tires may already be sitting around at the plant so I was hoping someone could provide a definitive answer as to the brand. Thanks in advance.

Do you have a choice of 18 or 20 on a LImited?....what price were you quoted?.....or you know for sure?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
So do we know yet what tire brand Ford is putting on the Edge with the 18" wheels? Will the 18"'s on the Limited receive a different brand than the 18"'s on the SEL?

I just picked my '08 Limited up on Saturday (10/13) and it has Michelin brand tires on the 18" wheels.

Edited by DeeKC

• 6 months later...
My '08 Limited with 18" wheels also has Michelins.

My 2008 Edge SEL came with the Michelins on 18 inch wheels.

Three straight Explorers preceded this vehicle and I'd driven nothing but Michelins for the past fifteen years, so I was pleasantly surprised I didn't have to negotiate a tire swap this time around.

agreed the Michelins on the '08 are great. when I saw the '07 models roll out with Kumho's and Continentals I thought to myself "oh dear, they cheaped out on the tires"... I'm sure the Edge I originally test drove (an '07) had the Conti's. they felt "OK" but I am really happy with what what I'm rolling on.

my last vehicle - '99 Ranger - came with Firestone (not the recalled ones on Explorer, but not far off) which lasted over 60k but I never thought were special otherwise. then I replaced them with some store brand tire and got something like 35k out of them... ouch. by the time it was itching for new tires again I went for some Michelin X-radials and was much more happy (performed better than stock and also puncture-resistant). this was only 10k miles ago so whoever ends up buying this vehicle off me should be happy with the rubber for some time.

I doubt I'll end up buying any other tires besides Michelin again in my lifetime, so I'm glad Ford went with them on most if not all the '08s. :shades:

Edited by bri719

I've had Kumho's on my old Subaru Outback a while back and they were better than most out there. I know a few shops that deal in most brand of tires ... they will sell you the higher brand ones, but they recommend others which cost less. Friend also owns a Porsche Independant shop and have access to all types of tires and I use Bridgstone on my Porsche. Michelin at times is hit and miss as with most tire brands. In the past with my Volvo's, I changed them out rather quickly as they were poor in bad weather.

The ones on my Edge are rather good which is a surprise. Usually stock tirees are on the poorer quality side due to the "cost" the factory requests. I shall see what happens in the future. On March 5th we had a blizzard here ... took the edge out (second day I owned it) for a spin and it was more sure footed than my old 2003 Land Rover Discovery 2 (which I traded in for the Edge).