heating problem, heater works intermitently

MikieP

I have a 2008 Edge SEL with 51k. It recently developed an intermitnet heating problem. Natually, when it was scanned, the heater worked fine. It has done this periodically on and off. Mechanic said it is not the thermostat but something called a 'mixture motor'? Anyone deal with this and if so what should I expect?

I am more familiar with some GM products which when they have a heating problem, it is often caused by actuators. These are a part of the HVAC system and blend the heated air coming from the heater core with the cooler air inside the car. The actuators open and close "blend" doors which allow the different amounts of mixing. On older cars these were vacuum operated, now they are electronic. When they fail or the blend door sticks, you don't get the proper amount of heated and cooler air mixed for the right amount of heat into the car. It could be too cold or too hot.

Your mechanics term "mixer motor" sounds to me like something very similar to the GM actuators.

If you do a search on this forum you should come up with some answers. Briefly, there was a known heater problem with some 2008s. It was something to do with the manufacturing of the heater core. Some special factory tools were needed to correct the problem. Most, if not all those who had the problem, had the the warranty extended by Ford for the heater unit.

Edited by Theakerr