Gas Cap?

SyN

Just bought my wife a 2012 Edge Limited. Driving it home last night I stopped to top off the tank and was shocked to find out there was not a gas cap. Is this normal? If so? This is retarded... Any amount of dirt can enter the fuel tank through the filler neck in time. There was already a few small pieces of crud laying right below the flap. If I had not picked it out with my pocket knife, it would have falled down the filler neck when I pushed the fuel pump nosel down into the filler neck to fuel the car. If there is not a cap... I will create some plastic see through cover to cover the filler neck entry way.

Thanks for your replies fellas! Here is why I ask. My wife has to drive down a 1/2 mile cleatchy dirt road every day to her office. Her Navigator that we traded in, always has a lot of fine white powdery cleatchy dust within the filler deck after you opened the fuel door. Once a week I would blow it all out with compressed air. Now without a gas cap alot of that fine powder is going to find it's way down into the filler neck.... Unless the fuel door is air tight which I know it's not, this is going to be hard to avoid. Anyway. I will email the salesman to see about getting a fuel cap.

Ā 

Thanks again.

The capless system uses a spring-loaded door that is supposed to provide a tighter seal than traditional cap systems, and if you look closely you will see that there's a rubber gasket that runs along the circumference of the filler door (gasket is on the body panel rather than the door). That should do a pretty good job of keeping stuff out, but I see your concern if you are driving in a particularly dusty area every day.

Ā 

Go to accessories.ford.com and you will see a Locking Fuel Plug that may serve your needs. There's a photo and it looks like it might do a better job of keeping crud out of the recess in the capless filler tube because it appears to fit over the recess. Part Number is 8U5Z-9C268-B and its suggested price is $24.99. Downside is that you have to lock and unlock it, but if you're pumping your own gas that shouldn't be a problem if it gives you piece of mind.

Ā 

Hope this does the trick!

Edited by edge1217

Stant arrived yesterday. Very nice cap. Snaps in easy and removes very easy. This will at least keep anyone from tampering with the filler neck and keep any type of debris out of the filler neck. Still wondering what the thinking was---> No Gas Cap!