Ford Edge Shifter Mechanism

aprilrod

Hello

so, I was tickling my son at a redlight and caused him to spill a HUGE cup of Dr. Pepper all over and into the shifter console area. I thought we got it all up but, some of it actually seeped into the shifter area and is shorting out the shifting mechanism. The dealer wants to charge me $250 just to try to clean it all out or $495 to replace the whole shifter mechanism. Is there anyway I can get in there and clean it out myself with out screwing it up to bad? Thank you in advance for any feed back

April

its a urban myth that electronics and water are instant death. Its actually electronics, water AND electrical current. Long story short, I rescued a CRT TV from a flood back in '93. Took it home, opened it up. Placed it in the shower and used the hot water from the shower massage to get all the silt out. Used contact cleaner on the mechanical controls and let it dry for a week. Used it for 12 more years.

I say that because, I've cleaned our user's kybd's with hot water in the kitchen after coffee incursion and let them dry for several days in a "dry environment". Worked fine.

(insert std disclaimer here) If you're able to get the shifter assembly that is causing your "shorting" issues, out of the vehicle you should be okay to clean it with warm tap water .... blow dry with air gun and let dry for several days and you should be fine. Use spray electrical contact cleaner on any contacts.

No, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night !

Score one for HIE! :hysterical2:

I had spilled a full can of Coca Cola all over my cellphone (which was on, of course) 10+ years ago. I powered it off immediately, wiped it down and dried it as best I could. Then checked the battery compartment, and turned it on. No problems.

Been working like a champ ever since. Probably will have gunk internally if dissected though.