"Parking break lead" error with navigation

I just recently purchased a 2008 Ford Edge SEL (absolutely LOVE it btw) with a Pioneer sound/dvd/navigation system. I couldn't figure out how to get the navigation system to work for the longest time, it wouldn't let me put in an address. Eventually I noticed a switch near the pedals and when I switched it, it let me enter an address. The problem is, when I have it switched on, I keep getting a "Parking Bake Lead" error. I am assuming this switch was supposed to bypass the need to be in park or stopped to enter in a navigation address or watch a DVD, but it still doesn't let you do those things while moving.

Was the switch just not installed properly? Does it sound like there might be a simple solution to this? With the switch flipped one way, I can't enter an address or watch a DVD but I do not receive the error. When the switch is flipped the other way, I can enter addresses and watch DVD while stopped, but not while moving, and when I do start moving I get the "Parking Brake Lead" error. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am just trying to figure everything out with my "new" car. Thanks.

Edited by Andrew Kearney

Did you buy from a private owner or a dealership. If a private owner, check with them to find out what the switch is for and how it works. You might be able to track down the previous owner and ask him if you bought it from a dealer or not the person who added the switch.

If from a dealer, I would take it to them (if you got any type of warranty) and tell them the nav isn't working correctly. Don't specify the switch, let them figure out what is wrong.

It sounds to me like the previous owner installed a by-pass switch to work the nav or DVD while in motion. I don't know if he ever had it working correctly or if he just left it there and removed or unhooked something else.

First, it's Parking Brake, not Break. Sorry but that's one of my pet peeves.

It sounds like they rigged the switch to the parking brake to make the head unit think the parking brake was engaged to enable video.

You said Pioneer - is this the factory system or an aftermarket system? I think you're on your own either way.

First, it's Parking Brake, not Break. Sorry but that's one of my pet peeves.

It sounds like they rigged the switch to the parking brake to make the head unit think the parking brake was engaged to enable video.

You said Pioneer - is this the factory system or an aftermarket system? I think you're on your own either way.

Wow, I feel dumb about the "break/brake" part. I guess I was really tired this morning.

I believe the system is aftermarket. Like I said, it was in there when I bought it but it was used so I'm pretty sure the previous owner installed it.

I assumed he was probably trying to get around not being able to use it while it was being driven, I was just wondering if anyone knew how I could possibly make it so it actually works like it should. Thanks again.