Snow Tires

oskar27

Went today to place the order for my 2013 Edge Ltd but the financing is not what I wanted and the dealer suggested to wait until Jan-15 when a new plan will be available. That’s no problem for me because I don’t mind to wait and get what I want.

Since the Edge comes with 18" all season tires / wheels and in my area it is compulsory to use snow tires from Dec-15 to Mar15, I asked the cost of a new set of tires and wheels and he offered:

18" snow tires on four 18" steel rims for $1,600 installed or

17" snow tires on 17" aluminum wheels for $1,540 installed (no 18" aluminum wheels are available)

Which set would you go for?

If you're on a tight budget, the 17s. After all, it is just winter, when I'm more concerned about controlling my vehicle and less about how nice other's wheels are.

On the other side, it is just $60 more to get the bigger ones. I've definitely found the 17s to look just a tad bit too small for our cars, and even the 18s are small, but I have them.

That's my thoughts without being able to see them on the "Build Your Own" feature on Ford's site.

Perhaps I did not explain properly but the 18" tires are mounted on steel rims and the 17" tires are mounted on mags (aluminum mag wheels, similar to the original but without the plastic clad)

Its not the cost I worry but rather looks and safety. Definetly the 17" mags will look much better but I was told that mags are more fragile and if you hit a pothole (in the winter they are plenty) the wheel may crack

I wonder if you guys in the Northern States have similar experience

Good point Johnny, but this is the list price and the dealer indicated that "we can make a deal when I sign" and hopefully I will get them for less. When I tested the Toyota Venza which has 20" wheels the dealer said he will throw the winter tires for free so perhaps Ford will do the same

I got mine in Detroit for considerably less than in Canada. Do your research and then you'll know if you can't get them thrown in what your options are. If you're getting a very good rate on financing, it might be worth it to pay slightly more for them and get that total included in what you finance. Lots to consider.