2013 Edge SEL Ecoboost Mileage

Johnny Utah

So I've filled my car up 2 times so far and have about 800 or so miles on it. With that said, I was checking out the readings on my MPG with Fords system on the dashboard. It was showing a very large difference in the amount of gallons of gas I used vs what was reflected on my fuel gauge. When I filled up the car it was apprx 16 gallons but yet the car only read that I used 13 and change.

So my question is, is this normal? Has anyone experienced this as well? Is the Ford system inflating MPG in the Edge?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you by any chance using a remote start on the car? I have noticed that that when I use the remote start functionality (factory) that it does not add that time to the running duration and gallons used. Before Winter and remote starting every day I did notice it would be off a little at most fill ups, but usually not more than half a gallon. Also it is possible to pause it by pressing the center button on the left side of the wheel which will cause the gallons and the rest of the data to be tallied for that trip.

Edited by ericleone

Perhaps on the previous fill-up you didn't actually get up to full, and with the second fill-up you did. I normally start looking for a gas station when I hit 1/4 of a tank remaining. From there it normally takes about 15 gallons to get the tank full. If the 50 mile low fuel light comes on it's usually about a 16 gallon fill-up. When I fill-up, the gas station nozzles always cut off at 11 or 12 gallons depending on the nozzle I'm using and that's 3 or 4 gallons short of full. Then I have to carefully fill the remaining 3 gallons at a very low rate of flow. That involves listening very carefully to the sound of the fuel in the filler neck. With previous vehicles I've owned when the nozzle cut off automatically it meant that I was actually within a gallon of almost overflowing.

My thought is that on your first fill-up you let it fill until the nozzle cut off and considered it full although you were actually 3 gallons short of full. With the second fill-up you managed to get more into the tank. That would make the 13-gallon figure in your display pretty accurate. I'm at 23,976 miles on my Edge EcoBoost so I've had a learning curve with the fuel tank and fill-ups. It's slightly annoying characteristic of the Edge but I've gotten used to it. I don't have the enhanced display feature that you do so I can't personally vouch for its accuracy.