2008 Ford Edge Limited Impressions

Kitulu

Picked up my new (to me) 2008 Limited on Friday, with 82000 miles on the clock. Spent today detailing it and driving around. Here are my first impressions:

Pros:

The seats are very firm, but comfortable. The heaters came in handy after dinner out with the wife and kids when the temp dropped into the 30s!

The power liftgate is the coolest thing I have ever seen! The wife loves it as well, especially when grocery shopping.

The homelink system is cool as well, but I had it in my last car so I am used to it. One thing I don't like about it is the button are TINY!

Tons of room in the car/truck/SUV/whatever...I think I could fit a toddler in the center console.

SMOOTH RIDE! My last car was a 2000 Dodge Intrepid ES, leather/power everything. The ride quality in the Edge is far above that of the Intrepid, especially with the absolute lack of road noise in the cabin. On the way back from dinner, we took the highway, and the only road noise I could hear was from the wind gusts.

Headlight output is very bright, I felt like I could see forever, lol!

The power output is more then adequate for what I need. I was going 60 before I even realized it, and it did not feel like I was going that fast. I may add a K&N Intake at some point, maybe some other tuning goodies, but I have not decided yet.

Cons:

Plastic everywhere. WTF was Ford thinking? Leather seats, plastic everything else? I think that Ford really dropped the ball in this aspect.

Why are the seat backs NOT power articulated like the rest of the seat? Why are the rearview mirror and the steering wheel not power adjustable? It makes no sense to have memory seating if the only things in memory is the seat position and the side mirrors.

Speaking of mirrors...are the "blind spot" mirrors supposed to actually do anything? I find them to be a distraction more than a help.

The extra-long brake pedal travel took a little getting used to, but it is not that bad...but could be a little tighter. Also, why are the pedals not adjustable?

Additional stuff:

I will not get into the Sync system. It has it's own list of pros and cons that I am sure that have been documented ad infinitum on here. I will say that it is nice to have a stereo that effortlessly works with my Zune, rather than having to use an aux jack and cable, or break down and buy an iSomething. The nav worked fine, although I don't understand why it costs $200 for an updated DVD. The voice recognition is a little spotty, I am hoping it works better after I set up the user profile.

Anyway, those are my first impressions after my first weekend of ownership.

I agree with you on most of those points. Coming from owning mostly Chrysler products over the years, I can definitely say that the Edge rides WAY better. The reason I got rid of my 2010 Dodge Journey was because of the absolutely horrible suspension (it was the only vehicle I have ever owned that made me carsick while driving it.)

There is a sea of hard plastic in the 1st generation Edge (as there was in the Journey also), but that was addressed I believe with the refresh for the 2011 model year. However it doesn't look bad, and isn't a major issue for me. One thing I do take issue with is the back seats. Only the small square center inserts are actual leather, the rest of the seat is vinyl. Granted, they did an excellent job of matching it, and I do realize that they did it for durability purposes, but I still feel like more of the seat should be real leather.

I've never had a vehicle with power adjustable rearview mirror, steering wheel or pedals, so it's not something I miss. Since I'm the only one who drives the Edge it's a non-issue, although I can see how it would come in handy with multiple drivers. I like the tilt/tele steering wheel, and think that every car should have that feature. I love the power liftgate too, although out of habit I still find myself still reaching up to pull it shut manually... have to keep remembering to push the button instead.

The blind spot mirrors are a little hard to get used to at first, but after you do they are really nice to have. Personally, I would have rather had them at the lower inboard corner rather than the upper outboard, but they do a good job of showing you who is next to you.

Excellent write-up Kitulu. Thanks for sharing. :-)

Edited by Symbasys