Driver door - What did I break?!?

I live in cold climate and this morning my driver door was very frozen shut. I had to pull quite hard to get it open. Once inside I attempted to close my door, it did close but the driver door open message stayed in the information center my entire trip. Similarly, when coming home, the driver door open message stayed on and the interior lights stayed on for a minute or two. The door has a slight creaking noise inside the door now, almost as if something metal is now hanging.

What did I break in the door that makes the car think it's open? The door closes, I have to pull the handle to get it to open. Is this something I can fix by taking the interior plastic panels off the door and replacing a component?

Hey Dune,

Sorry your having this trouble with your car. I would imagine that if you pulled super hard that there would be something wrong with the door handle and not the door itself. Have you give your door hinges a good inspection to see if there was anything that could have bent around that area?

There have been quite a few of us with the new gen Edges that have issues with our door locking mech. It would malfucntion saying that our door was open all the time, but I don't know if that is a big problem with the your model. Here are some of the threads that talk about that. Might be an informative read for you:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/10869-door-ajar-warning-on-at-all-times/

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/11664-driver-side-door-alert/

Can you be a little more specific when you say you "have to pull the handle to get it to open"? Which handle are you talking about, inside or outside handle? Is there something different about the way the handle operates now after you had to pull hard to open the door?

When I said pull the handle to get it open I meant the interior handle; the same I would normally do to exit the car. Basically the door is acting normal; opening and closing operations are the same but the information center is now stating that the driver door is open during my entire drive and there is now a metal clanging noise inside the door as I drive.