Key Fob Battery

tloewenberg

I have a 2008 Edge SEL AWD. This weekend my wife and I decided to take a short trip. Leaving the hotel tonight for dinner, I used the key fob to remotely unlock the car. I inserted the key into the ignition, but when I attempted to start the vehicle, nothing happened except that the red security (?) light flashed on the dash. Luckily, I brought the second fob along, which I rarely do because I'm the only person who drives the car. When I used the second fob, all was well and we were on our way. My assumption is that the normally used key fob needs a new battery, which is okay since it's been in constant use for over 4 years. But I'm thinking, if I hadn't grabbed the second fob, we would've been SOL and I wouldn't have been able to start the car?

I did some web searching and about all I could come up with are instructions on how to replace the fob battery. Nothing suggests or has instructions for an alternate way of starting the car that people that have total keyless entry and operation have. Is my "out of luck" assumption correct? The manual suggests always having a second key available? Is this my only option?

Edited by tloewenberg

The battery is mainly just for the transmitter.... ie regular PATS keys don't use a serviceable battery. Several times though I've seen PATS keys actually go bad themselves and cause the theft light to flash and car not to start. Though most of them were the older original square style, but it's still just as possible to happen with the FOB style as well. Just had to toss those keys and cut another one, and all was well. Sounds like that may be the case here

Edited by thirdgenlxi

When we got home today, I replaced the suspect key fob's battery. When I tried the key, the engine wouldn't turn over and the dash security light blinked. I'm calling my dealership tomorrow. Everything else about the key works, door locks, horn, etc... only car fails to turn over / start. I can't believe for the want of a key fob, a car could be stranded, but that looks to be the case.

These keys are definitely not your fathers key, very high tech.

I'm constantly reminding myself NOT to come in and throw the keys on the table.

I googled "transponder key 2008 ford edge" and found several places that sell these keys.

but

You would still need to have it cut and programed.

You could check a local locksmith.

Good luck

ab

Well, I called the dealer and made an appointment. They reminded me to bring both keys. Then I started thinking on how proud the dealer was going to be and that I could see a couple hundred bucks flying out of my wallet if they had to cut and program a new key. I called a local locksmith who has done work for me in the past. Of course, on the phone, he was confident that all could be made well. I drove over, handed over the good and the bad, and asked him to do his magic. They didn't have a replacement fob type key, but had a compatible PATS key. Unfortunately, when he interrogated the "bad" key with his programming box, it didn't recognize that the key had ever been programmed. Then, he was stuck, because his system required me to produce two good keys before he could proceed. So, I'm left with the dealer to provide me two good keys. Knowing Ford, they'll probably want $150 for the key and labor ($tbd). Then, my plan is to buy a fob and program it myself. The procedure looks to be fairly straightforward as long as you have two good keys to begin with. More to follow.

It's 0.5 hr labor at most dealerships to cut and program a key.... that's around $40-50 depending on the particular shops labor rate.... it's really not a big thing, and you can just get a regular PATS key (they're not that expensive) and do the separate fob later as you mentioned (and yes, it's easy... cycle the key on'off 8 times with the door closed ending in the run position, locks will cycle, press either lock or unlock on all fobs you want programmed, key off... done). Once you have 2 good keys you can program additional keys yourself (up to 8 total) should you want to get another fob key later on... just need to get it cut is all

• 3 weeks later...

The end of the story. At the dealer, I elected to go the lesser of two evils route and had them cut a key fob with the the transmitter. Unfortunately, when they mated the new key to the car, I lost the use of the old (bad) key as a remote transmitter to unlock/lock doors, etc. The thing was totally rejected by the car. $65 and I was out the door, but still lacking one transponder key. Ebay to the rescue, I bought a replacement, had a lock smith cut the key, and used the procedure in the manual to mate the key to my car. Now, I have the non-battery key hidden in the car, so if I'm ever caught in the same situation again, I'll be able to start the car. Thinking back at the start of all this, it is a rare occasion that I'd ever have a reserve key on me. The only option then is to call a tow truck.