Any Diesel Rumours?

richy

When it comes time to replace my MKX, I will probably end up with another SUV. I really want an oil-burner for my next one....I think it makes so much sense for an SUV to have it. I've been reading reviews of the new Grand Cherokee with the 3.0L diesel and 8 speed auto trans. Other than trucks, you hardly hear anything from Ford about diesels. Maybe all their efforts are being chanelled into EB engines? With the new CAFE standards, I think you'll be seeing many more on the market. I'm going to drive the diesel GC when it comes out this summer; I'm looking forward to it.

Somehow, I think it's going to take a long time if ever, for oil burners to appear in Ford cars in North America.

If you look at the New Ford Escape which in North America has the 2.4L N/A and 1.6L & 2.0L Ecoboost.

In Europe, the same vehicle is called the Kuga and is available with the 1.6L Ecoboost as 160hp with manual trans and 180hp with auto trans (2.0L Ecoboost not available :shrug: ). And diesel options are 2.0L with 140hp and 163hp in manual and Powershift option.

We know that the Edge (next generation) is on its way to Europe in 2015 and I guess it will be a similar deal, North America gets the best ga sengine and Europe will get the oil burners. Ford has a great diesel that would suit the Edge right now, its a 3.0L V6 twin turbo that goes in the Land Rover Discovery 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AJD-V6/PSA_DT17#Lion_V6

2.7D/TDV6/HDi

Diesel's don't make economic sense in North America. They add at least $3000 to the cost to produce the vehicle and with diesel prices higher than gasoline, the payback periods are worse than EB engines and even hybrids. In Europe the emissions requirements mean it's only about $1500 additional cost to produce the vehicle and the diesel prices are cheaper. Thus diesels make sense in Europe, they do not make sense in North America (except in the small markets of large trucks / towing).