King Mike, warranty and mods

Mike, couldn't send a reply to your message as I don't have 20 posts yet. So I'll add this one to my list.

The only issue with your warranty is if any part is modified/replaced and it specifically causes a problem. Then your warranty won't cover it. The key word here is "causes", however, your warranty is still effect. I've only had one issue with a mod, a K&N intake on my Sport Trac rubbed against a wire bundle and shorted a couple of the wires and caused my A/C compressor to cycle off and on. I had to pay for that one. My dealer is pretty cool about the stuff I've done and doesn't give me a hard time about it. The federal government states it is "illegal" to modify, bypass or alter anything related to the emissions. ie: intake, TB, exhaust and anything with the computers. My mods are fairly obvious to anyone that opens the hood. I don't bother changing things just to go to the dealer. I even bought a red cap from Steeda that fits over the OBD port and says "DO NOT FLASH" So yeah, you are kinda rolling the dice here with any modifications. I never had any issues as I don't ABUSE the vehicle in any way, as some would be tempted to do. Okay, except for Englishtown once or twice a year!! So, that's my story. Good luck and stay in touch. Bob

PS: you know, if there are enough owners in the area(NJ/NY/PA), we should do a picnic/bbq or something this summer so we can actually see what each of us has done. Dunno. What do you think?

• Like 1

You two need a room? :shades: Haha, only joking.

I think the picnic is a great idea and I live in the New York area so I'm deftly in.

Thanks for the info Bob. I'm going to call my dealer and see exactly what they say. I've heard "voids warranty" so often that it gets me a little nervous that I'm going to be screwing myself out of a lot of money for a 30hp increase, ya know? I'll post here on what happens! Thanks again for the help!

Edited by KingMike

Well I just got off the phone with my dealer and they told me everything I mentioned doing could lead to them voiding the warranty. So I think I'm just going to stick to not doing any performance-wise upgrades to anything since I'm sure if anything happens they will try their damnest to link it to what went wrong and I'd be paying out the ass.

I have my Cobra to go fast, so I think I'll just play ti safe on this one.