4 wheel down towing - battery dying

defineran

Battery dies in 2-3 hours when towing 4 wheels down with key in ACC position. Radio & AC off

Manual tells you to do this (with transmission in N)

On another forum I was told to use the OFF position rather than ACC.

Presumably, with transmission in N, steering wheel remains unlocked in OFF position.

Anyone with any experience or comment?

Dennis

:reading: I'm guessing here.. You are pulling it behind a motorhome? ..Is there an ambillical? "connection between the two vehicles to remotely operate tail/turn lights".........then I'm thinking some part of that ain't right....I'm thinking, If the radio or lights or whatever was on...It ain't going to run down in 2-3 hours sitting in the yard......Some other item is draining that battery and that motorhome ambillical seems like where I would go looking....Just a thought...........Happy......... :shift: ......Sr.

:reading: I'm guessing here.. You are pulling it behind a motorhome? ..Is there an ambillical? "connection between the two vehicles to remotely operate tail/turn lights".........then I'm thinking some part of that ain't right....I'm thinking, If the radio or lights or whatever was on...It ain't going to run down in 2-3 hours sitting in the yard......Some other item is draining that battery and that motorhome ambillical seems like where I would go looking....Just a thought...........Happy......... :shift: ......Sr.

I am towing behind a motorhome, but there is NO electrical connection to motorhome. I am using magnetic tow lights that are in no way connected to the Edge. I am using a braking system that pulls on the Edge brake so the brake lights on the Edge do go on. THis is a mechanical system that uses no Edge power (other that the brake lights). I have a monitor that lets me know the brakes are not on constantly. Others have this same problem, not only with Edges but many other vehicles. Apparently there are many things operating while in the ACC position. Some pull fuses (but not at all obvious in Edge which should be removed) , and some disconnect battery to solve the problem. Dennis

Dennis: .......... :stats: ........... I'm thinking you are not going to like this....Your question got my interest....As usual, I called three people and got three different answers....So here we go. #1 IF the vehicle is AWD---do not pull it wheels down---no matter what the book says...This is a guy that tows cars...He specifically uses the tilt bed truck for almost everything, anymore...too many variables. #2 The other guy was cool til we got to the mechanical brake device you spoke of....Then the conversation went to an alphabet soup of RSC, ESC and TCS, which is some inter-connected electronic "roll, stablization and track control" ...The thought here was that activating the brakes without the motor running may simulate some activity that would back feed these systems...It is possible to turn this system off with the little sliding car icon on the center dash column... BUT he thought that with the engine not running it may default back to an "on" position.. So maybe try a 2 hour run without the brake doo-dad and see what gives...#3 Was a little more concerned with the Ford 6 speed tranny getting enough lubrication in a towed situation....He noted the contradicting book comment: In recreational towing they give a wheels down procedure...Yet in Emergency towing they say wheels down... NO more than 50 miles at less than 45 or something along those lines....The tranny lubrication factor is his main concern...His advise... "You paid $30K for the car...A blown tranny is a lot more than $2K for a trailer?".........So...My sources 2 out of 3...Saying get it up off the ground.....Sorry....This don't sound like what you wanted ....I went for the challenge.......... :banghead: .............Did get to talk to a couple buds I haven't seen in a while..........Good Luck..... :shift: ...........Sr.

Dennis,

Sorry to hear about your problem.

I have not heard of people having your problem. I tow the FWD Edge and have not experienced your problem. I tow using a Brake Buddy which gets it power from the Edge. However, the brakes are set to activate only with moderate to severe braking. Otherwise, I have a six pin connector to the motorhome rear and front of the Edge and wiring directly to my rear lights. When the motorhome lights activate, no power is taken from the Edge, nor returned to the Edge wiring as a result of diodes in line.

I was also concerned with voltage drop and as a result, put the car in ACC and N over a 24 hour period. found a drop of 12.8 to 12.3. Other than power taken by the Brake Buddy, which is minimal, it should not be a problem.

I have heard of people towing with the car in N and key off without problems. I have not towed in this manner but, have tried it while stopped and see no reason why you couldn't. Ford doesn't recommend.

If you check your system and can't find a problem, you can always use the Toad Charge. The system uses 12 volts taken from your motorhome house or engine battery and uses it to charge your Edge battery. This link will give you the site and details:

http://www.lslproducts.com/ToadChargePage.html

If you follow the instructions in the manual, you should have no problem towing your Edge.

Marv

Dennis,

I have looked on several RV sites and have not been able to find people having problems towing the Edge. It sure would be appreciated if you could give the site or sites with people expressing the dead battery problem.

Thanks,

Marv

Edited by Marv

Dennis,

I have looked on several RV sites and have not been able to find people having problems towing the Edge. It sure would be appreciated if you could give the site or sites with people expressing the dead battery problem.

Thanks,

Marv

Marv

Here is one site for a Lincoln MKX with the same battery problem.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseacti...id/19864489.cfm

I have contacted this person and he now tows with ignition OFF.

www.rv.net has many links for this problem with other cars.

Dennis

• 1 month later...

I have my 07 Expedition set-up as a toad (Remco driveshaft disconnect, Roadmaster brackets, tow bar & brakes) and I turn the key about halfway between off and ACC (just enough to unlock the steering wheel). I've already towed it over 2000 miles with zero problems.

BTW - RV.net is a very good resource for anything RV related.

Edited by NLPRacing

If the vehicle is towed by other means or incorrectly, vehicle

damage may occur.

In case of a roadside emergency with a disabled vehicle (without access

to wheel dollies, car hauling trailer, or flatbed transport vehicle) your

vehicle (regardless of transmission powertrain configuration) can be flat

towed (all wheels on the ground) under the following conditions:

• Place the transmission in N (Neutral).

• Maximum distance is 50 miles (80 km).

• Maximum speed is not to exceed 35 mph (56 km/h).

On AWD vehicles, it is required that your vehicle be towed with a wheel

lift and dollies or flatbed equipment with all the wheels off the ground to

prevent damage to the automatic transaxle, AWD system or vehicle.

Ford Motor Company produces a towing manual for all authorized tow

truck operators. Have your tow truck operator refer to this manual for

proper hook-up and towing procedures for your vehicle. :stop:

from the 2008 Edge AWD manual

Have you checked with Ford to see if you can tow it the way you are and what effect it will have on any warranty claims???.

Here is a contradiction for you:

Take a look at this FORD Media web site : Item 2

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/release_dis...m?release=26047

I also found this:

Dingy Tow Compatibility Allows for Ease in Flat Towing

Customers who wish to flat tow their vehicles behind a motor home or camper have been limited to 4x4 vehicles that feature a transfer case with a neutral setting. The 6F features a unique technology that allows for flat towing without adversely affecting the transmission. A gravity-drip tray, mounted on top of the gearsets, collects the lubricant as it’s splashed up on the transmission. As the vehicle is being towed, lubricant drips slowly from the tray onto the gearsets, continuing to lubricate the transmission.

"It’s an elegant innovation," says Ram Krishnaswami, manager, 6F transmission. "It is a very simple piece of technology that works remarkably well."

AND This:

I just bought the Ford Edge SEL Plus FWD. Page 209 of the Owner's Guide states the following"Tow your front Wheel Drive vehicle with all four wheels on the ground or with the front wheels of the ground by using a tow doily. If you are using a tow dolly follow the instructions specified by the equipment provider."

On Page 210 it goes on to states regarding AWD vehicles: "Tow your All Wheel Drive vehicle with all four wheels on the ground or with all four wheels off the ground using a vehicle transport trailer. Do not tow your All Wheel Drive vehicle with the front wheels off the ground (by using a tow dolly) and the rear wheels on the ground. This will cause damage to your AWD system."

Sorry, bold added by Ford, not me yelling.

It goes on to state:

"Tow only in the forward Direction."

"Release the parking brake".

"Place the transmission shift lever in Neutral (N)".

"Turn the key in the ignition to the ACC position".

"Do not exceed 65 mph".

"Start the engine and allow it to run for five minutes at the beginning of each day and at each fuel stop".

When in ACC, the clock and alarm light stays on. A battery disconnect or the Toad Charge can be used. Here is the link:

http://www.lslproducts.com/ToadChargePage.html

The SEL and Plus have the driver door keypad which is nice as you can lock the car and use the keypad to get in and out.

Hopefully, this will clear up questions on towing the Edge.

So now I am confused!!!!! :wacko:

I have e-mailed a friend of mine at ford to get there official response and I will post it here. :sos:

I originated this thread.

Finally the problem was found - the battery was bad but it took a while for the dealer to find this. Supposedly, it passed all the tests the first few times it was tested.

I have now towed in ACC position for about 4 hours with no problems.

BTW - For those with general comments about this subject, my owners manual says it is OK to tow 4 wheels down as I am. Also the link to Towing Guides is Ford Towing Guides

It covers 2002-2008 vehicles and discusses bot standard towing and four wheel down towing.

Good to hear you found your problem. I have towed our 2007 SEL Plus FWD for over 2500 miles following the directions in the manual without problems. When I fuel the motorhome, I start the car for a few minutes. Car has always started as if not being towed.

I have spent the last month traveling from northern Michigan to Florida and at least once a day a person came up and asked if the car was towable. Several brought their wives over. Two guys said they were going to trade in their current cars on the Edge.

I emailed Ford sales on the Ford site that they should advertise the Edge is towable. Even gave them magazines and people to notify who put towable car lists together. That was several weeks ago and didn't even get a short thank you. Guess I'm concerned about Ford staying in business then their own people. Too bad.

Marv