Ain't that a step backwards!

So call me old fashioned if you want. I actually put a CD into the player of my 2013 today for the first time since buying it last July. Now I have used the USB for CD's I've ripped onto the flash drive and like seeing the artist, song title, album title, and even sometimes if I am lucky the album art cover.

I purchased a few CD's and didn't have time to rip them onto my USB yet. I decided to listen to one of them in the car while taking my wife to an appointment. I was some what surprised to see the only information on the home screen and even the entertainment screen when I selected that was a generic "Track 1", "Track 2", etc of whatever track was playing.

No artist, song title, album title, or album art to be found. Is there a setting I need to change, or is this as good as it gets when playing a CD? This is not a bootleg CD, but one issued by a major studio.

I am sure when I copy it to my music USB, that information will be shown on the Edge just like all my other albums show from the USB.

Is this just how the CD works now?

When you burn an audio CD, you have the option of including CD-text on the disc - that's what gives you artist and title information. Most major distributors don't do that on their retail discs so that information has to come from someplace else or you only see track numbers. Many CD ripping programs do online lookups of track metadata to create the file tags when saving to MP3 files. The other option is having a player that does those lookups from a music database. My Mustang has a Gracenote database installed with the navigation system so it will generally show title and artist information for CDs that were in the database when I bought the car (I haven't paid Ford's exorbitant price for updates). I don't know if the Edge includes a similar database.

Not all CDs include text information. All SACD disks and DVD-Audio disks do. Since it is easy and there is usually lots of room on the disk for text information I don't know why it is not universal. But: not all players can make use of this information, even though it is likely that the chip sets already have this feature. Perhaps there is an extra license fee. (But the Sony license has expired so there is not license fee for producing a CD any longer.

Yes, the 2013 Edge still has the Gracenote database. I have tried turning that on and off to see if it would read the CD and show the information, but nothing changed with either setting.

One big difference is the 2013 does not have the HDD to record or store the CD's onto. My wife's car has HDD and all CD's which have been stored on there have all the information which is viewed when playing from the HDD.

I am going to burn the CD using my computer media player onto a blank CD disc and see if the info transfers that way. If not, it's really not a big deal. I'll be putting all the CD's onto a flash drive to use anyhow instead of having to store CD's in the car. Like I mentioned, the 2013 only has a single disc player and no HDD.