just installed my TRS HID kit and wanted to get everyones thoughts on the beam pattern i am getting.

does this beam pattern right for a HID kit or have i done something incorrect? i haven't tried driving at night yet to see the pattern on the road ahead, but wanted to ask everyone here while i waited for dark.

thanks everyone.

IMG_7854a.jpg

Gabe, I used to work in a body shop. The way we always tested lights is to park about 5ft from the wall. Take a pencil and mark the top and center of the beam...kind of like T, marking the center as well (brightest part). Back up to about 10-15ft, do it again. Back up to about 25-30ft. Mark it again. If your beam/pattern stays level(ish) then you're good. Otherwise, make adjustments. As for the shape of the top of the light, that is accurate and you haven't done anything wrong. BTW...do this on a flat surface.

I see some hate on the 6000k. How blue is this on the 55w? Are we talking like the cool blue of Mercedes, audi, etc? Or are we talking like your local Honda civic with an ebay kit kind of blue? Debating 55w 5000k and 6000k. Looking for that cool blue of the Mercedes/audi, but not to the point it looks tacky...

Edited by EvasiveS197

i measured it in the garage on flat surface and it's pretty bang on. have been out a night a few times now and they are incredible...100000x better then the dull factory lights and the cut off is perfect.

i actually got the 35w - 5000k and they are very much like the cool white with a tinge of blueish. and 35w is MORE then enough...i couldn't imagine needing 55w.

anyway i highly recommend the swap. love the way it looks and most importantly night driving i can see more :)

Gabe

Gabe, I used to work in a body shop. The way we always tested lights is to park about 5ft from the wall. Take a pencil and mark the top and center of the beam...kind of like T, marking the center as well (brightest part). Back up to about 10-15ft, do it again. Back up to about 25-30ft. Mark it again. If your beam/pattern stays level(ish) then you're good. Otherwise, make adjustments. As for the shape of the top of the light, that is accurate and you haven't done anything wrong. BTW...do this on a flat surface.

I see some hate on the 6000k. How blue is this on the 55w? Are we talking like the cool blue of Mercedes, audi, etc? Or are we talking like your local Honda civic with an ebay kit kind of blue? Debating 55w 5000k and 6000k. Looking for that cool blue of the Mercedes/audi, but not to the point it looks tacky...

• Like 1

That's great to hear! I'm currently on deployment to Afghan and longing to get back home to my garage. This will definitely be something I pick up.

You said you got the 35w; any reservations on anything, and/or did you have to use a capacitor? I was a little confused in page 1 on whether or not EITHER kit needed one. To my understand, neither one does? Pictures of equipment mounting locations requested, please. Looking forward to them.

• Like 1

That's great to hear! I'm currently on deployment to Afghan and longing to get back home to my garage. This will definitely be something I pick up.

You said you got the 35w; any reservations on anything, and/or did you have to use a capacitor? I was a little confused in page 1 on whether or not EITHER kit needed one. To my understand, neither one does? Pictures of equipment mounting locations requested, please. Looking forward to them.

Thank you for your service!

You really don't need a wire harness for the 35w kits (It wouldn't hurt though).

A 55w kit from any manufacturer puts additional stress on the OEM wiring. In order to take the strain off the factory wiring, a after market wire harness is recommended in order to provide direct power from the battery to the new ballasts and igniters (bypassing the smaller gauge factory wires).

Just make sure you get a quality heavy duty harness (note: not a fan of the flimsy DDM wiring harness) for the higher wattage ballasts.

Edited by candurin

Also, 4300K is the ideal color for lumens and light clarity (for a lack of better term) and is the closest to pure "white". Any higher and you start to introduce a blue hue. This is at 35W.

55W kits use the identical bulbs as 35W kits, but run at a higher wattage (obviously). This 20-30% increase in wattage causes a brighter hotspot in the lights and therefore washes out some of the color temp in the lights.

Basically a 5000k bulb at 55W will look more like a 4300k (4500 actually) driven at 35W. A 6000k bulb driven at 55W will appear like a 5200k or so bulb driven at 35W and so on....

Your best bet is 4300k @ 35w or 5000k at 55W if you want white light.

• 1 year later...

i measured it in the garage on flat surface and it's pretty bang on. have been out a night a few times now and they are incredible...100000x better then the dull factory lights and the cut off is perfect.

i actually got the 35w - 5000k and they are very much like the cool white with a tinge of blueish. and 35w is MORE then enough...i couldn't imagine needing 55w.

anyway i highly recommend the swap. love the way it looks and most importantly night driving i can see more :)

Gabe

Gabe, which harness did you get? the canbus or the other? Where and how did you hide the harness?

Thanks