New '08 and Sync problems

I just picked up my new '08 Edge (Vapor Silver) last night. Everything seems to be working well except the function in which I am suppose to be able to say "call <name>"and it calls that person. I have an Apple iPhone which is on Sync list. The voice command responds to my iPod (part of iPhone) and works perfectly. And it will dial a number by command but the command "call" does not work. It did "pair sucessfully" with my phone and downloaded all my contacts. I am very frustrated but not sure where to turn. I think the product is too new for the dealers to know a good fix.

I love the color and it is very nice to drive. The Navigation works like a charm! Any advice or ideas from others out there who have gotten Sync?

Thanks.

'08 Vapor Silver-Limited

I just picked up my new '08 Edge (Vapor Silver) last night. Everything seems to be working well except the function in which I am suppose to be able to say "call <name>"and it calls that person. I have an Apple iPhone which is on Sync list. The voice command responds to my iPod (part of iPhone) and works perfectly. And it will dial a number by command but the command "call" does not work. It did "pair sucessfully" with my phone and downloaded all my contacts. I am very frustrated but not sure where to turn. I think the product is too new for the dealers to know a good fix.

I love the color and it is very nice to drive. The Navigation works like a charm! Any advice or ideas from others out there who have gotten Sync?

Thanks.

'08 Vapor Silver-Limited

Congrats on the new ride.

I can understand you being frustrated. Something like that would drive me nuts. I cannot stand for something to not work flawlessly, and then ya cant figure out what to do to fix it...

I hope someone can help you.

Good Luck!

• 4 weeks later...
Yes......I tried updating my iPhone but that is not the problem, evidently. I got it to recognize one name fom my phone book but that's it. I worry this will not be an easy thing to resolve since the product is so new.

Have you solved your problem? If not please answer the following questions so I can help you diagnose the problem:

• Did you download the phonebook when you paired your phone?
  • Are all your contacts in the iPhone phonebook capital letters?
  • Can you browse the phone book from the screen on SYNC?
  • Which name did it recognize?

Mark Vulfson

-Microsoft SYNC Engineer

Have you solved your problem? If not please answer the following questions so I can help you diagnose the problem:

Mark Vulfson

-Microsoft SYNC Engineer

Yes..........someone from Ford customer service called and we figured out I had all my contacts in iPhone listed in capital letters. The SYNC took each letter as a separate word. After I went through and corrected the text, it has worked perfectly ever since. My only question now would be about prompting? I backed it down to the fewest prompts but she still asks "phone, is that correct?" almost every time.

Thank you for your inquiry. SYNC has made driving a pleasure for me.........hands free for my phone and iPod which are all-in-one with an iPhone. It is the best option on my car! I LOVE it!

Mark Vulfson

-Microsoft SYNC Engineer

p.s. In answer to your other question: when I had all capitals for the contacts, the only name it recognized was Van but she pronounced it V-Ann. Now it makes sense because the SYNC was reading the capital letters as separate words thus "V AN" instead of Van. It was an easy fix thanks to a nice lady at customer service!

My only question now would be about prompting? I backed it down to the fewest prompts but she still asks "phone, is that correct?" almost every time.

I've found that when she asks "phone, is that correct?" it's because she didn't understand you completely. I'm kind of soft spoken so if I speak a little louder and clearer, she seems to understand the command.

Yes..........someone from Ford customer service called and we figured out I had all my contacts in iPhone listed in capital letters. The SYNC took each letter as a separate word. After I went through and corrected the text, it has worked perfectly ever since. My only question now would be about prompting? I backed it down to the fewest prompts but she still asks "phone, is that correct?" almost every time.

Thank you for your inquiry. SYNC has made driving a pleasure for me.........hands free for my phone and iPod which are all-in-one with an iPhone. It is the best option on my car! I LOVE it!

I am glad to hear you had this straightened out.

As for your question about confirmation prompts, unfortunately, the confirmation for "phone" at the top of the voice menu (i.e. when you first press Voice button) is not done by SYNC, but by the Navigation headunit so there is not much I can help you with. However, it may be possible top adjust the Navigation headunit for better recognition, you should speak to a Ford dealer/customer service representative about that.

You can also experiment with how you say "Phone". Speech recognition is a very tough problem especially in a noisy environment such as a car. You may find that if you speak straight into the windshield as opposed to the microphone you may get better results. Also, always speak in a normal, constant tone of voice any intonations, speaking too loud or soft will generally make it much harder for the system to understand you.

I am glad that you are enjoying SYNC!