PTU Replacement

EDGY46

Got the news today on my 2010 Ford Edge Limited. PTU has to be replaced. First noticed the gear oil smell and small deposit on garage floor. Of course the warranty has expired. I drove 60 miles round trip to work for the first two years. All interstate. No stops and starts. 83,000 miles now after first year of my retirement.

The warranty is 60K or 5 yrs. $1500. I guess I'm lucky. Considering joining the class action lawsuit after reading about all the problems with the obviously poorly designed unit.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a 2013 Ford Edge 3.7L AWD with 30,900 miles. I drive conservatively. Purchased new. As I type, my Ford dealer is working to repair a gear oil leak from the PTU (Power Transfer Unit). From the blogs it appears this has been a problem since 2007. Wonder why Ford can't seem to come up with a fix that at least gets them 100,000 miles? All I have read says it occurs and reoccurs every 30,000 to 35,000 miles. Before I noticed, we tracked the gear lube from the driveway to the living room carpet, stained for good. The bigger worry is the damage that may have been done to the PTU for lack of lubrication. So watch for the problem every 30K miles. Not Happy!

• Like 1

I think Ford is well aware of the overheating issues. They are just not doing anything about it for US customers.

I found a TSB that referenced AWD Edges in the Middle East. Any Edge with less than 100,000 got a free PTU replacement that had a drain plug. Of course the p/n for that PTU is not available in the USA.

• 6 years later...
On 11/11/2014 at 11:35 PM, brantlyj said:

I think Ford is well aware of the overheating issues. They are just not doing anything about it for US customers.

I found a TSB that referenced AWD Edges in the Middle East. Any Edge with less than 100,000 got a free PTU replacement that had a drain plug. Of course the p/n for that PTU is not available in the USA.

They're not doing shit for Middle East customers either. The AD here are scumbags and have a monopoly, there's only one authorised dealer for the whole country.