Installing Nexus 7 tablet in a 2007 Edge

Maus

POST UPDATED, see below

Just completed a weekend project of installing the Nexus 7 tablet into 2007 Ford Edge.

Not long ago Google announced Nexus 7 2nd generation, and lots of 1st gen devices are now available for a reasonable price via ebay, crigslist etc., so I grabbed one to use it in my car.

The tablet is perfectly sized for Edge dashboard and is powerful enough to handle all on-the-go tasks.

I hate making irreversible modifications to my car (drilling holes, cutting plastic etc.), so I ended up with a solution allowing to remove the holder at any time if I decide to build anything else.

Here is the setup:

10804182383_3052581ea3_b.jpg

The device does not obstruct the view and is located conveniently within reach. It even folds up to allow access to a CD changer (though I don't use it of course):

10804186423_8aaf9f298c_b.jpg

The holder itself is very simple. I cut two pieces of lexan and used two acrylic hinges to secure them together. The holder is attached to the dashboard by four strips of double-sided 3M tape, and the tablet is attached by two pieces of black 3M picture hangers. Acrylic hinges were $1.5 apiece in the same store where I got lexan leftovers. I also bought the cement to glue them, and it holds very strong.

The double-sided adhesive tape holds really strong too, but can be removed without a trace if needed. The picture hanging strips allow for precise positioning of the tablet (higher or lower, if required), and the tablet can be easily detached anytime and used as usual (I wanted to use magnets at first, but there is a sensor in Nexus 7 that turns it on and off when used with the magnetic latch cover).

10803942316_24d6a45c6f_b.jpg

Tablet controls (power and volume buttons) are all easily accessible, as well as its usb/power port and the headphone jack. The face plate of the holder tilts freely on the hinges, and the tablet keeps its near vertical position under its own weight only.

I'm currently using a 2-amps USB car charger to power the tablet, but it's a little bit insufficient, as the tablet battery slowly discharges when running heavy tasks (such as navigation), so I've ordered a 3-amps step-down converter and will try it as soon as it arrives.

I'm also using Bluetooth Auto Connect on the tablet and Bluetooth Auto Tether on my phone, so the tablet is always internet-enabled when I drive.

After 2 weeks of use I'm very happy with the installation - it holds really well and the tablet is very convenient (I'm running Waze most of the time).

If you are interested in building this, I can provide the dimensions of the pieces - just let me know.

UPDATE

I made one more modification to the dashboard. On the first pic you can see, that the topmost blade in both vents is missing. I removed the vent assemblies, removed the top blade and cut the movable guide rod it was held by. Now air flow can be directed higher than before (I know many people note this drawback of 1st generation Edge dashboard vents).

Edited by Maus
  • Like 1

Makes me want to dump the MS Sync unit that came with my Limited. I can't think of a single reason now to keep the stock head end, except for the push buttons on the steering wheel.

I found a youtube video about coupling steering wheel controls with an android tablet. The guy used this (or similar) interface, but I found this mod to be too complex, given very limited free time I usually have ))