Drove my 2013 Edge SEL AWD in the snow for the first time. . .

Cyberdave

I got the car used about a month ago. We had our first snow storm since I got it yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to see how well it did.

The car performed very nicely under varying road conditions - AWD and traction control worked great. I watched what the AWD was doing with the dash monitor. It only placed power to the rear wheels when needed and once traction was achieved it quickly switched back to the front. There are times when it only powers the rear wheels but again this is only for a few seconds and then either both or back to the front. The traction control kept the car from spinning when I turned onto my street which doesn't get plowed - it just swerved slightly and then I straightened it out.

I was going to wait and see how the all weather tires did before deciding if I should get snow tires or not. They are the stock Michelin Latitude HP (18). Part of how a car performs (AWD and traction control aside) in snow of course has to do with the tires and these tires seem to be almost as good as snow tires. Unless I was going to go into the mountains, for just regular city/highway road driving, I don't think I need snow tires.