Ford shows no resolve to fix MyFord Touch defects

ccutaia1

When I first read the reviews on the 2013 Ford Edge many reviews talked about problems with the cars electronics namely the MyFord Touch system not working correctly or as advertised. Because the system is so sophisticated I wrongly assumed it was due to the inexperience of the owners' ability to communicate with the car, I have never been so wrong! I first started having problems with the navigation system, the quick nav would lock up on the car. After three trips to the dealership they finally replaced the navigation module which fixed the problem for a while. I am currently still having problems with the quick nav again and these problems have been verified visually by my Ford dealership.

Then back in September there was a system update done and that is when the real problems started. At that point part of the quick nav menu for the navigation system disappeared. Ford now said it was removed in the update nice if they had told us customers. The main problem was my Zune MP 3 player (a Microsoft product) after the update would no longer stay in sync with the car, and would continually re-sync itself almost every time the car was restarted. Then the player(s) started to re-sync themselves randomly, and/or locked up. To make sure it was not the player I tested three other Zunes' that we have for our other vehicles to make sure it was not the player. The same problem continued with each of the other players, there fore it was the vehicle not performing correctly.

When I contacted Ford back in September what was the first thing they said, the player was defective. I then informed Ford that I tested three of the same players that were functioning properly in our other vehicles, all three reacted the same way in the Edge experiencing sync problems and lock ups. It took weeks and numerous phone calls (and un returned phone calls) to finally get Ford engineering to react to the problem. It then took weeks for Ford engineering to get me a diagnostic program to load into the car. Over the course of the last five weeks I have sent for downloads to Ford for them to analyze, still nothing. I called on 12/9 asking to speak to a supervisor a customer care, I was told someone would call me back within 48 HRS, no one called. I called again 12/12 wanting to know why no one called me back, I was told they did, but I had no record of any phone calls to me from Ford, either missed calls or voice mails. At point told that I was assigned a if Customer Care Supervisor named Tracy, they put me through to her voice mail, I left my contact information and case number, to date no reply

In the past when I have had problems with other cars that were difficult to find the car was left of the dealership and driven by tech rep over a period of time to find and isolate the problem, there has been no attempt by Ford to do any hands on diagnostics. In fact there has been no sense of urgency by Ford to fix this problem quickly and efficiently. It is getting to be my summation that the reviews and lawsuit allegations are correct, the MyFord Touch system has serious flaws.

Because of the continuing extensive problems with both the navigation system, and entertainment System I feel Ford needs to replace the complete MyFord Touch system in the car after months of being unable to troubleshoot, isolate or fix the problems I am experiencing. But to date as I stated before Ford showing little or no resolve to get this car fixed once and for all.

Well as much as I agree with you that the system sucks, is full of bugs and quirks; I wouldn't agree with you saying they don't have resolve. I agree that the system needs a lot of work and I am frustrated with their crutch of blaming other components but they have been trying to make it better. I think by now they should have been able to fix it but obviously that is not the case. You can push them to replace the APIM but don't hold your breath it will fix it. Some have had luck others like myself have not. My current system is ok...occasionally it does some quirky stuff but I can deal with it. My guess is they are reluctant to work on it only because they are not confident theyhave a fix.

My problem is constant, I cannot listen to the MP3 player for any extended period of time without screwing up, maybe I get 20 minutes. Besides there is no excuse for Ford not getting back to people when they say they will. There is little thing called common courtesy when it comes to customer service, it seems Ford knows nothing of this.

Ford is not set up to work directly with customers - they rely on dealers. Your dealer should have pursued getting a new APIM. Since the 3.5.1 update the software seems to be stable in most older vehicles and almost every new vehicle. Major problems almost always end up being APIMs. My suggestion is to contact a new dealer who wants to fix the problem.

I hate to correct you but I am working directly with Ford, both Customer Care and Advanced Engineering, I have names, phone numbers and e-mail addresses to prove it. As far as working with the dealership I am being told that Customer Care has to authorize any parts are going to be put into the vehicle, per the dealer. So the saga continues.

Edited by ccutaia1

Let me rephrase. Ford isn't setup to work directly with customers except in rare cases where the dealership is unable to fix the problem. Did the dealership try replacing the APIM after the media players would not sync? I've seen many cases where the dealer replaced the APIM and fixed these types of problems with no questions asked, so when I see something like this where the dealer did not replace the APIM it makes me question what the dealer is telling Ford.

My other point was that Ford has over 3 million vehicles under full warranty coverage at any given point in time so it's difficult to give a lot of customers individualized care so they rely on the dealers to do most of that.

That said since Ford is now involved they should be more responsive and I hope they get it fixed for you. I would still consider a different dealership in the future.

I know that Ford monitors these forums, if you really would like help you can advise Ford that they have one very unhappy customer who's been working with them patiently for over three months, very close to four now on this issue. Having said that I did ask them this last week to replace the brains of the unit (APIM) but to date have not received a promised call back so I have no idea what the status is. After paying $39,000 for a vehicle you would think Ford would feel an obligation to the buyer to make sure the vehicle they manufactured was operating correctly.

From some of the dealers I spoke to they said that Ford was cracking down on APIM replacements due to cost and that it often didn't fix the issue. What they said to me was unless the unit is completely dead or failed one of their tests they can't/won't replace...any extra testing they don't get paid for so they defer to Ford CS. If the customer pushes them hard enough they authorize the replacement and the dealer gets paid even if it doesn't fix the issues.