Remote Start - Please Help!

Anyone else have an after-market remote start on an Edge? Can you unlock the doors or open tailgate with buttons on key after the car is started remotely?

you can do this with the ford remote start. once the car is started you just have to hold down the unlock door button for three seconds and the tailgate opens.

Thanks Beasley. However, the Ford remote start devices are one-way systems only. I want a two way system to know whether or not the car started when it is out of sight. I have remote start on my current car, and hate it when I think the car is running, wait for it to warm up, then go outside and discover it never got the signal.

Anyone else with an after-market remote start? Can you unlock doors or open tailgate with buttons on key after the car is started remotely? If not, I'll just have to program these features to the remote start. Not a big deal, but they charge extra for each additional feature.

Nickel and dime...nickel and dime....

DJwhlo - you're right about why there is extra cost. The extra cost of relays isn't too bad, but if a less expensive unit will work, I'm saving extra money. My options are a one-button after-market unit, or a more expensive five-button after-market unit, plus the extra costs for programming extra buttons.

But if the buttons on the key still work after started remotely, there's no need to buy the more expensive device or incur the extra cost.

• 2 months later...

I have an 08 SEL, and have never liked the idea of "Factory Installed" Alarms. I am a strong believer in aftermarket alarms/remote starts for a coulple of reasons.

1. If it is factory installed, you could pick up a $15 repair manual at the local autoparts and could see exactly how to disable it.

2. Range, Range, Range. Whatever you currently have with your keyless entry is what you can expect with the "Factory Installed" options.

What good does and autostart do from 20-50 feet? Fine, you can start it without the key, but if I am going to walk that close in heat or cold, I might as well sit in it to start it.

As far as the other posts of "you get what you pay for". This is never as true as it is when it comes to alarms/remote starts.

I have been installing these on my cars for well over 15 years and actually did it professionaly for over 7 of those. Want to have issues, problems or just frustration? Go to the guy that is offering these for $99 installed or free installation.

A quality install will be soldiered with all wiring, modules, harnesses and relays disguised within the factory wiring. The main module should not be the first thing that is seen when you look under your dash. I have always put it as far up and behind the inst cluster as possible.

Brand is not always important, but keep in mind a unit that costs $50 probably will have very little support or warranty on it. DEI is the way that I recommend. All DEI products have a "Vehicle Starter Kill" which essentially interupts the starter wire and unless unarmed cannot be overrode. They have the Viper, Python, Sidewinder and Automate lines that are all built on the same line with different names so they can be sold within the same market with limited competition.

2-Way is the best way as it does more than tell you if the car starts. If installed correctly, will tell you if the vehicle is broken into.

Heater Seats, Vista Roof, Rear Liftgate are just some of the options that can be added to an alarm/remote start with the use of Relays. The way Fords are constructed, almost every items needs a relay unless it is part of the original keyless entry. I have even added relays to make the alarm open the fuel door on some older fords that had the "push button" fuel door release.

Sorry so long winded, but I see alot of reasons in this blog not to get an aftermarket and if installed correctly, with the correct options and accessories, is the smartest way to protect your investment.

Brad

• 4 years later...

I have a 08 SEL with a factory remote starter. Recently the distance that I can use the remote start and also to lock/unlock the car has dramatically decreased. It used to work from about 50 feet, but now it won't work unless you are within 5-10 feet of the car. I replaced the battery in the key fob, but it didn't fix the issue. Any ideas? Sorry if this isn't posted in the correct place. Thanks in advance for the help.