Just When You Thought It Was Safe...

Good_Hands

Road trip this weekend. I reset the miles driven, AVG Speed and MPG to Zero at the fill-up right before I left.

A few notes: BAMR open every time we were in the car. AC was ALWAYS on. Might have been on "low", but the AC was on the entire time.

I suppose there could be an issue with the wind resistance since the BAMR was open but, not a concern with me.

My average speed after 210 miles (when we arrived - 3 miles on street roads, the other 207 on freeway) was 78 mph.

I didn't check average speed on the return trip but I tucked behind a Mercedes SL55 and cruised at 95 mph several times.

Numbers are:

Miles Driven - 527 (All but about 50 miles were freeway)

Average Speed - 53

MPG - 21.9

Road trip this weekend. I reset the miles driven, AVG Speed and MPG to Zero at the fill-up right before I left.

A few notes: BAMR open every time we were in the car. AC was ALWAYS on. Might have been on "low", but the AC was on the entire time.

I suppose there could be an issue with the wind resistance since the BAMR was open but, not a concern with me.

My average speed after 210 miles (when we arrived - 3 miles on street roads, the other 207 on freeway) was 78 mph.

I didn't check average speed on the return trip but I tucked behind a Mercedes SL55 and cruised at 95 mph several times.

Numbers are:

Miles Driven - 527 (All but about 50 miles were freeway)

Average Speed - 53

MPG - 21.9

*hand over eyes*

Oh no, you were going 95 mph at some points? lol

Glad you arrived home safely!!!! :)

Okay, so your MPG is very good I think. Very very good.

Kinda off subject here, but how quiet is the ride with the BAMR open at high speeds? Just curious...

Thanks for sharing with us!!!

:hyper:

*hand over eyes*

Oh no, you were going 95 mph at some points? lol

Glad you arrived home safely!!!! :)

Okay, so your MPG is very good I think. Very very good.

Kinda off subject here, but how quiet is the ride with the BAMR open at high speeds? Just curious...

Thanks for sharing with us!!!

:hyper:

:hands head: yeah....a few times. But it was so fun. Open road...Nice.

The ride is obviously quieter with the BAMR closed but it also depends on the quality of the road. There were sections where the freeway was pretty "fresh" and the noise dropped significantly once I rode upon that part.

I did find it interesting how much wind noise there is when you are doing about 65 and then close the BAMR. It sounds like a massive wind tunnel..lol.

The noise isn't so loud tho that you can't carry on a conversation.

:hands head: yeah....a few times. But it was so fun. Open road...Nice.

The ride is obviously quieter with the BAMR closed but it also depends on the quality of the road. There were sections where the freeway was pretty "fresh" and the noise dropped significantly once I rode upon that part.

I did find it interesting how much wind noise there is when you are doing about 65 and then close the BAMR. It sounds like a massive wind tunnel..lol.

The noise isn't so loud tho that you can't carry on a conversation.

Perfect description...Thank you so very much!!!

:drool:

I can only imagine, You, the Edge, and the Open Road...

Watch out!!!

heh

gotcha..is 5k considered 'broken in' now..or is it 10k?

you averaged 78..did you reset that once you set the cruise on the interstate(assuming cruise was used)

if so that means you were going about 80-83 give or take..so 21.9 isnt bad at all.

I always heard that 5k was the "broken in" point.

I did not reset anything - in fact, didn't reset it once I got back either. I know people reset it like crazy; i.e., every time they fill up, etc.

I did not use cruise control at all. Once you leave Memphis, freeway speed changes to 70mph. I believe it drops only a handful of times (and 65-70 is still easy). Except for those times, cruising at 80-85 (with peaks at 90 or so) mph is very easy, especially if you get into a line with a few other cars. At one point, there was a Tahoe, Z4, Explorer, Corvette, Honda Accord and myself - we stayed together for almost an hour.