2008 SYNC-Sirius-non-factory mod question

I will be custom ordering a new 2008 Edge this week and have a question regarding the stereo/sync setup.

While I am interested in the upgraded 9 speaker audiophile system (w/ Sirius) in conjunction with SYNC...Will SYNC (w/ Bluetooth) work with another stereo if I decide to change stereos down the line?

Currently I already have an XM pre-paid account in my current car. If I decide to go to Circuit City or Best Buy and get say a SONY or Panasonic stereo with XM (or Sirius), will this affect my factory installed SYNC?

I was thinking of going third party stereo so I can add my own amp and sub after the fact, but wondered if this rendered SYNC or its steering media controls useless.

Anyoen have ideas? :banghead:

I'm pretty sure if you install a new stereo sync will no longer work, it's all integrated in to the factory stereo so if you remove it then it will no longer work. However there are many after market stereos that work like Sync with voice commands and bluetooth I will be getting the Alpine Alpine IVA-W205 in a week or so.

iva-w205.jpg

You.....My friend...are the shit.

I have been looking...FOREVER...for an aftermarket, touch screen, NAV, etc system that, when used with Sirius, would give me song alerts (favorite song/artist, press the button to go to that channel).

This is the first one I have found that has it.

I'm going shopping this weekend!!!

Thanks!

:rockon:

I'm pretty sure if you install a new stereo sync will no longer work, it's all integrated in to the factory stereo so if you remove it then it will no longer work.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right. I actually placed my Edge order yesterday and I had a conversation with my sales assoicate and fleet manager. They both 'believe' that SYNC won't work with aftermarket stereo's because of the intergration. Sad thing was no one was 100% positive even at the dealership. They seemed to be a little under informed about SYNC in general, and to be honest I'm a little disapointed with the SYNC website FAQ's. Not too much 'techie' info there either.

Needless to say, I went ahead and got the Audiophile/Sync package anyway. Looks like I'll have to live with a few limitations for a while, or until I can afford to retro-fit the whole stereo system at a later date.

While a step up in many ways from my current 11 year old custom car stereo, its also a step backwards due to too much tech dependant integration in newer models these days.

The reason I went with SYNC right off the bat, it will work with my Zune player and LG VX cell phone from day one. But I really like my XM service right now and my 2x 10" Kenwood subs and my Sony Xplode headunit :cry:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right. I actually placed my Edge order yesterday and I had a conversation with my sales assoicate and fleet manager. They both 'believe' that SYNC won't work with aftermarket stereo's because of the intergration. Sad thing was no one was 100% positive even at the dealership. They seemed to be a little under informed about SYNC in general, and to be honest I'm a little disapointed with the SYNC website FAQ's. Not too much 'techie' info there either.

Needless to say, I went ahead and got the Audiophile/Sync package anyway. Looks like I'll have to live with a few limitations for a while, or until I can afford to retro-fit the whole stereo system at a later date.

While a step up in many ways from my current 11 year old custom car stereo, its also a step backwards due to too much tech dependant integration in newer models these days.

The reason I went with SYNC right off the bat, it will work with my Zune player and LG VX cell phone from day one. But I really like my XM service right now and my 2x 10" Kenwood subs and my Sony Xplode headunit :cry:

looks like you would be intrested in this then Alpine Hub you would be able to add a bunch of after market options as well as an amp and sub with out screwing up SYNC I'm sure there are other options out there that you can use to integrate stereo components.

Edited by Ksaness07Edge