Wheel Pilot Hole

oskar27

I have change my tires 3 times so far (from winter to summer tires) on my 2013 Edge Ltd and never noticed or looked for a wheel pilot hole as described on the manual page 339

I was reading the manual again to see if there is any info on my recent TPMS fault and the manual says under the tire change procedure “Inspect the wheel pilot hole and mounting surface…..”

I know about inspecting the mounting surface but has anyone noticed this pilot hole and what is its purpose?

My manual for my 2013 has the info on page 338. The pilot hole is just the opening on the wheel from what the illustration is showing. You inspect it to remove rust or loose particles which will interfere with the fit of the wheel over the hub on the axle itself. The mounting surface is on the face of the hub where the wheel sits against once you tighten the lug nuts. Again, any rust or particles could cause the wheel to not sit correctly.

I don't recall if the wheel opening (pilot hole) is tapered to help it fit over the hub, but that might be why it is being called a pilot hole. Or the fact it was built in Canada, eh?