Ultimate Rear DVD Alternative

My wife has a Dodge Journey with a rear DVD system that we have been using when we travel. When I got my Edge a couple of months ago I knew I would need something but there was no way I was paying $2000 for the head rest system. The headrests look great but they just don't seem practical to me

I started looking at my options a while ago and today I got everything and it works perfectly. Both of my kids already had iPads so using them was only logical. I was able to make a system for everything they could want to do for under $150. Most people have some kind of tablet at this point but even if you don't you could do this whole system for under $700 easily which is still way better than $2000, plus you also have 2 tablets that you can use anywhere rather than 2 headrest stuck in your car.

I started with 2 Satechi Tablet Headrest Mounts - $13 each

311AvxGFPEL._AA160_.jpg

For audio I got 2 cheap sets of Bluetooth Headphones - $22 each

They obviously aren't premium audio, but they connect easily and work great for the kids

415twx3pNlL._AA160_.jpg

That stuff is all pretty obvious but the real issue was storage. A 16GB iPad that is full of games doesn't leave much for video selection. That is where the next piece brings everything together.

RAVPower File Hub - $45

The fileHub is a wifi file server with storage expansion from SD card, Flash Drive, or external hard drive. The capacity is only limited by the drives currently available, right now I guess a 4TB external would be the max. I will be using a 64gb SD card which will hold about 100 movies that they can easily access at any time. It can sit in the center console out of the way and constantly be hooked up to a power source. As an added bonus it also serves as a 3000 mah battery backup when you are away from the car.

41UboYEShfL._AA160_.jpg

This was the best solution for me, mostly because we already had the iPads. This will allow them to watch any of their movies and easily pull the tablet out to play a game if they want.

post-29752-0-48198500-1398541294_thumb.jpgpost-29752-0-48529500-1398541295_thumb.jpgpost-29752-0-35886000-1398541296_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...