Probable oil leak 2011 SEL AWD

Vapour Trails

Hello, I have a 2011 Edge SEL AWD with 64,000 km (40,000 miles) which I bought 6 months ago as a lease return from a Ford dealer.

Today I noticed drops on my garage floor after I had moved the Edge to clean the interior. The drops were near the passenger side at the front wheel right under the belts and there was at least 20 spots.

I drove the car up on ramps and observed that the entire oil pan was covered in oily residue but it seems to be coming from above the pan, as it was oily on the front of the engine above the pan. The alternator was also covered. I checked the dipstick and it was still full or very near. The substance seems like oil based on the dark golden color.

Searching the net and these forums I haven't seen any complaints that sound similar. Where does the PTU typically leak from?

Looking for any comments or advice. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow, the powertrain warranty is still in effect.

Needless to say I'm pretty upset about this, a car this old and with such low mileage shouldn't have fluids pouring out. In addition my car has the harsh transmission shift issue from low speeds and a driver's door sensor that has failed completely.

FORD: ON SOME VEHICLES, THE INTAKE AIR SYSTEM COMPONENTS MAY HAVE ENGINE OIL ACCUMULATION, IN LEFT HAND VALVE COVER BAFFLE MIGRATING THROUGH FRESH AIR INTAKE OF POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION (PCV) SYSTEM. MODELS 2011-2013 EDGE, EXPLORE

I found this partial TSB on the net. When I was looking at my leak it looked like it orginated in the valve cover area. Anyone have the full TSB or more info?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...