Ordered 2008 SEL

Put my order in to our fleet department last week. As of Oct 26 it is showing as "order received by manufacturer". It will be interesting to see what the delivery time is like as the Ford plant in Oakville (that is where they are made, right?) is about 10 minutes from my house.

Ordered the a Metalic Red SEL with a charcoal black interior. Fairly standard package except the company has announced that all vehicles will be bluetooth capable (if available) and have navigation systems for "safety reasons". I have no idea what that will do to some of the other options like the sound system. If I read the various combinations right the navi system gets included with the upgraded sound system ? if possible I would bet the fleet people will strip out anything they can to keep the unit cost down.

The only "options" we were allowed to consider even as driver paid items were the roof rails and the power lift gate. I was surprised that we could not load them up since we would be paying and it would help the resale value when we turn them in after 3 years (assuming I don't buy it out for family use). Hey, its their car and not costing me anything so as the song says... shut up and drive !

The Edge seems to be our fleet car of choice right now. Three others ordered Edges at the same time, copper, white and silver so it is going to look like a club meeting if we get together.

Interesting thing was we had 3 Fords on our list (Edge, Taurus, Fusion), 1 GM (Impala) and 1 Chrysler (Sebring). Ford must be doing something with the fleet people to get more of their share. I believe we don't have any "foreign" vehicles on our list as our company tries to support the "big three" domestic auto makers. Bet pricing also plays in to the picture but it feels good to buy at home any way.

It will be interesting to see how I like the Ford as I have had GM and Chrysler for the last 5 vehicles.

The order has now been "scheduled for production" by Ford as of 11/02/07 but no delivery date is estimated. It is interesting to be able to track things so well on line versus the old standard of using the phone and bugging the heck out of our fleet manager.

Just out of interest I will post again when it gets shipped just to show the current production timing. Delivery should be quick given the location of the plant and local Ford dealer

Edited by CorporateEdge

• 3 weeks later...

Its here, now all I have to do is figure out the navi and synch systems.

Really fast delivery from my order date. The online system showed the following

- 11/02/07 - scheduled for production

- 11/20/07 - vehicle produced

- 11/22/07 - dealer took delivery of car (Mississauga)

- 11/27/07 - dealer called me for pick up.

Only downer is I hadn't even had the car 10 minutes when someone put a scratch in the drivers side door. It was perfect at the dealer during the inspection. Parked the car after leaving the lot and came out to find the car beside me gone and a very small scratch just below the door handle. Wind was really blowing so I bet his door got caught by a gust and yanked open all the way. What can you do? Hopefully a little scratch remover will make it go away but it is really noticable on that bright red, perfect paint job.

• 3 weeks later...

There has to be some kind of "red" car bad luck

Driving on a major 3 lane highway Tuesday (had the Edge two whole weeks and 1200 kilometers!) when a transport in the lane beside me and slightly ahead of me had part of its brake assembly fall off.

A piece of what definitely looks like the metal brake drum ended up punching its way through the outer and inner door skin of my front passenger door. I now have a 7-10 pound piece of brake drum for a paper weight and a complete new door on order for my 2 week old edge ! The upside is the thing didn't bounce higher and come through a window.