Transmission issue

I have a 2008 Ford Edge SEL. With 90k miles. Just recently it began to do an odd thing. When accelerating- most often at the on ramp to the highway, the car hits 40mph and begins to stutter. Not a gentle stutter, a strong, very noticeable, stutter. When it does this, you have to ride it out. I have tried accelerating through it, tried backing off, tried coasting.

I am assuming ( I know, don't ass.u.me), that it is the transmission because if I turn off O/D it doesn't happen at 40mph but my rpm spikes.

I would love any thoughts, ideas, solutions, recommendations. Hoping to take a 1600 mile road trip this summer in the Edge.

Thanks

Gorilla

Remember our Troops

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I think you are heading down the right path (transmission, plus, etc.). If the plugs have never been changed on yours, they are about due. I have an 09 Limited and changed the plugs at 95,000 miles. I noted in my log that the spec for the gap on the new Motorcraft plugs was to be set to to .05. I measured the old ones and they were at .062 - .068. Even if that doesn't solve the issue, I would say you are about due. Also, you might want to drain and fill the transmission. Easy to do. My 09 has a drain plug. I do it every year. You get about 5 3/4 quarts out. Mine calls for Mercon V, my guess is yours is the same.

I realize we could have an entire debate on flushing vs draining vs other. My point is these two items I suggest are normal maintenance and might help resolve the issue. If neither does, they both still needed to be done and you could now check them off the list. You might even want to do the transmission twice in a period of 2 weeks. All you need is 6 quarts of Mercon V (I use Castrol - A local shop has it on sale for $4 on occasion), a skinny funnel and pan. Good luck!

• Like 1

You ask a good question. I did not do plug wires and to be honest, I can't remember if there were wires or simply coil on plugs. If you can replace them, I think I would. I had some older Taurus/Sable cars with the 200hp Duratec engines and had a number of issues with the wires that made the engine stumble and feel like a transmission issue.

I had the same issue a few months back, Gorilla. I took it to the dealers Ford Garage and learned it was a bad Turbine Speed Sensor, which is apparently an internal one also. I had purchased a ESP via the dealer when I purchased it and which was then covered under my ESP. I would definitely get it into your local Ford garage so they can help you with this.

I would be very surprised if spark plugs are in any way involved. Misfiring from spark plugs would be engine speed dependent and not related to road speed. It could also be engine load (acceleration) dependent. But in either case, the same symptoms would be expected to show up at different speeds as the transmission was in lower gears or when accelerating similarly at different speeds. As has been mentioned, at 90,000 miles you are close to the recommended change interval and it can't hurt to change them but I doubt it will affect the symptoms you describe. It is much more likely related to the transmission.