engine noise / rattle under intake video

rocco123

Rocco,

Sounds like a cam shaft phaser issue. DTC P0010 or P0020, or in the neighborhood of cam shaft actuator or timing trouble codes.

There are a couple of solenoids near the front of the engine that may be the culprit. Oil cleanliness, level and pressure is critical with these 'VVT' engines as oil is not only used as a lubricant, but it is now pumped up to much higher pressures and used to actuate the cam advance mechanisms. There are oil control solenoids that allow oil to enter the phasers and I seem to recall that they are accessible from outside this engine. If so, they are easily replaced, and may even be swappable, allowing you to move the noise to where the failed solenoid is (bank A vs. bank B), if you want to check it that way. You may find that the oil journals and screens on the solenoids are blocked with debris. Replacement of the solenoids (there are two, one for each bank) may correct the issue and solve your dilemma. Electrically, you can also check the resistance of the solenoid's coil to see if it is open or shorted. It could even be a loose connector!

Worst case, it is a spring or guide pin in one of the phasers (there are two, one for each bank), the timing cover of the engine will require removal to access and remove the phaser for repair/replacement. Not a small feat, at that point replacement of the engine from a suitable donor may be an option, since labor will probably be a wash. The front of this motor is like a Rolex watch you repair through a thin slot a few inches wide. Something's bound not to be done right or forced into position. Bear in mind that the engine went into the car, as a complete assembly, at the factory.

Fortunately, all this diagnostic information is available on Google. It is a Ford 3.5L cyclone engine specifically, but this technology is found in most modern engines and the noise from a failing phaser is about the same for every engine.

Good Luck! (Tell your neighbor to use full synthetic on his engines)

Edited by autom8r

I really appreciate this very detailed response. Another friend had phaser issues on his F 150 this past winter and found his camshaft was scored so he replaced the truck.

This engine does have full synthetic.

Again, thanks for the response.

Edited by rocco123

Rocco:

Here are the instructions for the solenoids. Looks like the valve covers need to come off to replace the solenoids. If it's the phasers, I would look for a donor engine if he wants to keep the car.

Sorry for the remark about the full synthetic. I jumped to a conclusion. I've seen a lot of sludged up motors, all preventable if full synthetic was used. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Ford Edge Valve Covers and VVT Solenoid.pdf

Should have checked it myself but shop found he was low on oil and I know he just changed it last month. They added some and he told me noise went away. Maybe the sound was lifters.

again I really appreciate the input. I own an explorer and was hoping and happy to see this forum had good dialog between members like that of explorerforum.com

people helping each other out