Engine is toast...(What other will fit my 2007 Edge Sel)

marine12001

On the 4th July my 8.5 pregnant wife and I were driving when the engine starting ticking at high RPM's. Sounded like a lifter.

As soon as I mentioned it to her the car starting hesitating and died. Car overheated...Thank god I was able to pull over and call AAA.

Looks like I have coolant in the oil and need at the very least new head gaskets. Im just going to replace the entire engine as they

are not too expensive used.

1. I see options for 8th digit C w/o oil cooler what type engine do I need?

2. What engines will work for my Edge?

Edited by marine12001

I'm not 100% sure that they are all exactly the same, but the 3.5 was used in the Edge, the Lincoln MKZ, Fusion,Taurus X and pre-2013 Taurus and Flex. The 3.7L version should also work if it comes from a pre 2013 Lincoln MKS or MKT or pre 2011 MKX. If there are any differences, it should only be in the peripheral parts, and you could swap those off your old engine.

Although the 3.7 V6 would probably physically fit, I'm not sure you could swap because of the PCM programming. The original 3.5 has variable valve timing only on the intake side whereas the 3.7 has twin independent variable cam timing. As a result, the 3.7 produces 40 more horsepower and 30 foot-pounds additional torque. I would expect that the PCM tuning would have to be significantly different (fuel mapping, etc.) to account for those differences.

The bigger question is why replace an engine rather than a couple of head gaskets? Sure a used engine may not be expensive but the labor to install it will be and you don't know what problems you may inherit with a used engine - the previous owner may have never changed the oil. Head gaskets aren't expensive but again the labor costs could be. The difference is that you know the history of your own engine. And pulling heads on a Cyclone V6 is actually not that difficult (I've seen it done in a driveway) so you could end up saving many hundreds of dollars.

Although the 3.7 V6 would probably physically fit, I'm not sure you could swap because of the PCM programming. The original 3.5 has variable valve timing only on the intake side whereas the 3.7 has twin independent variable cam timing.

The 3.7 switched to the twin variable cams at the same time the 3.5 did. The 3.7 in the early MKS and MKT had the same intake-only cams that the 3.5 had.

But I think I was mistaken above in that the pre-2011 MKX did not come with a 3.7, so it would be correct to state that all 3.7s available in the Edge/MKX have all had the twin variable cam setup. But an early MKS or MKT 3.7 should be a straightforward drop-in, though I agree you'd want to update the PCM to match.

Although the 3.7 V6 would probably physically fit, I'm not sure you could swap because of the PCM programming. The original 3.5 has variable valve timing only on the intake side whereas the 3.7 has twin independent variable cam timing. As a result, the 3.7 produces 40 more horsepower and 30 foot-pounds additional torque. I would expect that the PCM tuning would have to be significantly different (fuel mapping, etc.) to account for those differences.

The bigger question is why replace an engine rather than a couple of head gaskets? Sure a used engine may not be expensive but the labor to install it will be and you don't know what problems you may inherit with a used engine - the previous owner may have never changed the oil. Head gaskets aren't expensive but again the labor costs could be. The difference is that you know the history of your own engine. And pulling heads on a Cyclone V6 is actually not that difficult (I've seen it done in a driveway) so you could end up saving many hundreds of dollars.

Forgot to mention I just bought the Edge 1 month ago..I don't know too much about the service history other than oil was clean and it ran fine until it broke down.

It could very well just be it blew a head gasket but considering the engine has 130k miles maybe just finding a good low mileage donor would be an upgrade

at a fairly resealable price to redo the heads and gaskets?

That additional information certainly takes away most of the advantages of repairing. You are probably right to figure that a lower mileage used engine is likely to be better in the long run than repairing a relatively high mileage engine that you're not really familiar with anyway. Plus there is always the possibility that the problem is something more extensive than just a head gasket and you wouldn't know until it was apart.

I still recommend replacing it with the same 3.5 V6 that it came with because the early 3.7 V6 from the Lincoln MKS only produced 10 additional horsepower - not enough to be worth the potential tuning issues in my opinion.