How to Remove Rear Headrest

HeyDiddleyHo

How on earth you get your headrests off?

I am trying to install a new child seat in the back and it won't go in with the head rests installed and I have extended them to the max and even had my neighbour hold the button in while I pull with both hands while sitting in the trunk. I have the 2008 Edge, please tell me I am doing something obviously wrong and that they do come out. The child seat is a top of the line baby shower gift, a $300 Britax Marathon, and is very tall and won't sit flush with the seat due to the headrest protruding forward.

Looking forward to be told how easy it is then showing my neighbour who snorted when I said I need help, almost pushing me out of the way in his eagerness to show me how easy it was...

Oh wow, not even delivered yet? Congrats.

As a father of two little ones, I know car seats can be nervewracking. I can't take much credit for looking up someone else's thread but glad it helped.

The last thing you two need to worry about right now is installing car seats.

Looking back on the children's births, I am glad to see it is you going through this and not me!

• 2 weeks later...
How on earth you get your headrests off?

I am trying to install a new child seat in the back and it won't go in with the head rests installed and I have extended them to the max and even had my neighbour hold the button in while I pull with both hands while sitting in the trunk. I have the 2008 Edge, please tell me I am doing something obviously wrong and that they do come out. The child seat is a top of the line baby shower gift, a $300 Britax Marathon, and is very tall and won't sit flush with the seat due to the headrest protruding forward.

Looking forward to be told how easy it is then showing my neighbour who snorted when I said I need help, almost pushing me out of the way in his eagerness to show me how easy it was...

There is a small metal pin that secures the headrest. You have to remove the little plastic "filler/cap" on the right side base of the head rest (If you were looking at it from the trunk) use a very small screwdriver, the plastic "cap" will come loose with some gentle leveridge, once this comes out, there is a "C" clip, carefully remove that, once you have that out, the head rest can be removed. This is about the best way I can explain it......good luck!

• 9 years later...

Raise the headrest to the highest position, on the headrest post that doesn't have the height adjustment button, there is a flush mounted button with a hole in it . Push a 1/6-5/64 stiff wire in the hole to release the headrest while pushing the height adjustment button. I use a 5/64 Allen Wrench.