Test drove Edge, posted review

mkaresh

I took an Edge for a test drive last Friday. Dealer said they'd had them for a week. But I'm near Detroit, where new models often show up relatively early.

Overall, I didn't find any strong positives or negatives. Just a good overall crossover that will have to compete with a number of other good crossovers. Compared to a Nissan Murano, the main differences are styling that some will see as more tasteful, but others will see as more boring, better ride quality, and squishier handling, especially at higher speeds.

The interior could use less hard plastic, but that's true of many cars these days.

My full review:

Ford Edge review

So you're saying the only two things you don't care for are "subjective" complaints? Personally, I don't find the styling bland. No more so than the Murano. Only difference is the Murano has the Nissan styling cues and the Edge follows the trend set by the Fusion. Big deal. As a whole, I find all the Japanese styling cues of late to be pretty dis-tasteful. Same crap but calling it new.

Also, while I have yet to see the interior in person, I don't think it'll be that bad. 500 and Fusion have decent interior plastics. So if you're saying a the Edge's interior isn't as good as the much more expensive Acura, I can live with that. What do you expect out of a car with base price of $25k? Freekin' gold plated controls??

BTW, I don't mean to make it sound like I'm trashing your review. I actually agreed with everything else you have in the review. And kudo's for reviewing the Edge for what it is. NOT a 3 row CUV, but it's intended 2 row...

Im glad you didnt complain about no 3rd row seat, as there is no use for one.

Also the manual shift mode - how many people would actually use this feature? probably very little.

And what are these "hard plastics" I think so many people just copy whatever these "experts" at the car magazines are saying.

My advice to anyone looking at any car, is to actually go out and drive one.

Most of any review is subjective, it's the nature of the beast.

I actually hate it when people tell me they've ruled a vehicle out based on one of my reviews. I frequently stress that I'm just mentioning what I noticed, as things someone doing their own test drive might pay close attention to--if they car about the item in question. If something like lateral support isn't a priority for them, then it shouldn't matter what I say about lateral support. That's just one of my priorities.

My general take on reviews, comparison tests, etc.:

Comparison tests, what are they good for?

The most damning charge I feel I level at the Edge is that it brings absolutey nothing new to the segment. This is the product of seeing what others have been doing, and doing much the same thing. No brilliant insights or breakthroughs, no bold moves. Which might just be one more thing many people couldn't care less about.

After all, the Freestyle is innovative in many ways, and it hasn't set the sales charts on fire.

Most of any review is subjective, it's the nature of the beast.

I actually hate it when people tell me they've ruled a vehicle out based on one of my reviews. I frequently stress that I'm just mentioning what I noticed, as things someone doing their own test drive might pay close attention to--if they car about the item in question. If something like lateral support isn't a priority for them, then it shouldn't matter what I say about lateral support. That's just one of my priorities.

My general take on reviews, comparison tests, etc.:

Comparison tests, what are they good for?

The most damning charge I feel I level at the Edge is that it brings absolutey nothing new to the segment. This is the product of seeing what others have been doing, and doing much the same thing. No brilliant insights or breakthroughs, no bold moves. Which might just be one more thing many people couldn't care less about.

After all, the Freestyle is innovative in many ways, and it hasn't set the sales charts on fire.

I don't know, I think the BAMER Moon Roof is fairly unique..... Other than thay I agree with your comments...

I don't know, I think the BAMER Moon Roof is fairly unique..... Other than thay I agree with your comments...

Good point on the moonroof. You can get a similar moonroof on some German SUVs, but none at this price. GM is offering a sunroof combined with a large fixed panel of glass over the rear seat in the new Outlook and Acadia, which reached the market a bit before the Edge. Not quite the same, but it's also compatible with a ceiling-mounted entertainment system.

Hi,

Just ordered a new Edge today after a test drive in Hannibal, MO The Edge on the lot was a base model, but we enjoyed the fit and finish as well as the quiet drive. Also drove a loaded model (no Vista roof) at another dealer two days ago. The interior hard plastic comments I've read in a couple of reviews don't make too much sense to me. This is an inexpensive crossover model with loads of features, but no $50,000 price tag. We actually liked the simple clean lines of the interior, and thought the leather seats on the loaded car were comfortable, if not spacious.

It felt like a lot of bang for the buck, and lets me buy local.

This Edge will replace a Jeep Gr-Cherokee. Our other vehicle is a Ford Escape. My son drives a new Mustang.

We've owned several Toyotas and a Honda. Our local Ford dealer does a better job of customer service and the service department brings us back.

Any ideas on delivery time for new orders like mine?

Hi,

Just ordered a new Edge today after a test drive in Hannibal, MO The Edge on the lot was a base model, but we enjoyed the fit and finish as well as the quiet drive. Also drove a loaded model (no Vista roof) at another dealer two days ago. The interior hard plastic comments I've read in a couple of reviews don't make too much sense to me. This is an inexpensive crossover model with loads of features, but no $50,000 price tag. We actually liked the simple clean lines of the interior, and thought the leather seats on the loaded car were comfortable, if not spacious.

It felt like a lot of bang for the buck, and lets me buy local.

This Edge will replace a Jeep Gr-Cherokee. Our other vehicle is a Ford Escape. My son drives a new Mustang.

We've owned several Toyotas and a Honda. Our local Ford dealer does a better job of customer service and the service department brings us back.

Any ideas on delivery time for new orders like mine?

You'll probably get yours before I get mine that was already built in November. :) Did they search the dealers to see what is available? Also, what did you order?

You'll probably get yours before I get mine that was already built in November. :) Did they search the dealers to see what is available? Also, what did you order?

SEL+ AWD in red/camel 17" wheels, DVD navigation, sirius, vista roof (no rear dvd or tow package).

No info on delivery time, but dealer was asking how many miles I would be driving the trade-in before end of February.

I did a dealer search, but with no vehicles in the entire st. louis area, and none in the nearby illinois dealers (except one lone vehicle a dealer traded $$+ other vehicle for), it seemed pointless to try to find anything close to what I ordered.

Thanks for the message. This forum has been a lifesaver. I seemed to know more about the situation than any of the dealers here.

Even if you'd wanted the DVD, you can't get it with the roof. No space for it up there. They could have gone the console route, like the Murano, SRX, and others, but did not.

That would be why Ford is offering the dealer installed option of DVD in the headrests...