PTU replacement

brantlyj

So with problems surfacing at only 62,000 miles it has been determined that the PTU on my 2008 Edge Limited AWD has overheated and needs to be replaced. I'm not going to go into the backstory in this thread. If you want the complete story I guess PM me or I can post it up if there is enough interest....

Since I cannot afford to have the dealer replace the PTU at a cost of $1500 I have decided I have 3 options. My hope is that there are others here that have perhaps gone one of the routes I will outline and can give me some feed back on their experience.

1: Drill and tap a drain plug and do regular fluid changes. My hope here is that there is no internal damage done. Reading other threads here it seems the preferred method is to drill and tap a 1/4" pipe thread. Flush the case with kerosene, flush with motor oil, flush with gear oil then flush monthly a few times until the gear oil is relatively clean then have an annual fluid change.

My question is, when you fill the case with kerosene do you drive it at all to get the fluid in all the nooks and crannies and try and knock the gunk out? I know not to drive it that way and extended period, I'm thinking a few hundred feet. Same with the motor oil flush. And to those that have done this what is your success rate? Are you still driving with this PTU unit or did you eventually have to replace?

2. Remove and disassemble the PTU, get it all cleaned out, replace anything that's bad and reinstall. This is a very attractive option to me as it would give me piece of mind that everything is ok internally and if it isn't it would be repaired. The only problem here is if there is anything bad and I need to order parts or I decide I have to go full replacement anyways I'm down a car until the parts come in. Due to my wife's and my schedules overlapping driving each other around with one car isn't an option.

3. Total replacement of the PTU. This is the most expensive option, but it just gets the job done.

If anyone has done option 2 or 3 I'm looking for difficulty level. Tips and trick and anything I need to look out for. Also if someone had a Chiltons or Ford manual and would be so kind as to scan and e-mail me the appropriate pages you would be my hero.

Also looking for tips to prevent the overheating. It seem to be the general idea that the routing of the exhaust may be the issue as the catalytic converter is right next to the unit as well as the main pipes coming from the engine. Heat shielding may be the best bet to prevent future issues. Anyone with pictures of DIY heat shielding around the PTU would be appreciated.

• Like 1

If you have time on your hands, and the ability to have the vehicle down for a while. I would take it all apart. Go to a local bearing place. Find the bearings. Replace them. As long as the thrust washers and gears show no sign of wear, then you should be good. I would put it together dry with some gear paint "blueing" and move the gears, see how they mesh. Then go from there. but you do have to know how gears should run...not too far in the heel or toe of the gears.

• Like 1