SYNC and USB Flash Drive

wafn

I have WMA music files downloaded and saved in Windows Media Player. I copied the tracks to a USB Flash Drive and have tried to play with SYNC. SYNC recognizes the files, artists etc., but won't play, apparently due to this message appearing: "protected content error". Windows Media Player says these files can be downloaded unlimited times. Anyone know why I get this protected message, and what can I do to get SYNC to play from USB Flash Drive? Thanks

I am curious about that too. I do not have much experience with protected music. I downloaded the free tracks from www.syncmyride.com and copied them to my USB drive and tried to play them on another computer only to get a protection error message. Will this also happen when I try to play these tracks via SYNC?

I have WMA music files downloaded and saved in Windows Media Player. I copied the tracks to a USB Flash Drive and have tried to play with SYNC. SYNC recognizes the files, artists etc., but won't play, apparently due to this message appearing: "protected content error". Windows Media Player says these files can be downloaded unlimited times. Anyone know why I get this protected message, and what can I do to get SYNC to play from USB Flash Drive? Thanks

Hello Wafn,

Media devices such as USB Flash Drives do not allow protected media such as the WMA files you've downloaded to be played. To play files protected by digital rights management (DRM), you'll need to use a device that supports that functionality.

Devices that support DRM include iPods, Zunes, and other PlaysForSure devices.

For a listing of supported phone and media devices for SYNC, please see www.SyncMyRide.com:

SYNC Compatible Mobile Phones and Media Devices

For a listing of PlaysForSure media devices, please see the following link:

PlaysForSure Website

I hope you've found this information helpful.

Thanks,

Hello Wafn,

Media devices such as USB Flash Drives do not allow protected media such as the WMA files you've downloaded to be played. To play files protected by digital rights management (DRM), you'll need to use a device that supports that functionality.

Devices that support DRM include iPods, Zunes, and other PlaysForSure devices.

For a listing of supported phone and media devices for SYNC, please see www.SyncMyRide.com:

SYNC Compatible Mobile Phones and Media Devices

For a listing of PlaysForSure media devices, please see the following link:

PlaysForSure Website

I hope you've found this information helpful.

Thanks,

Thanks for that info. In reading other posts, it appears that some have played music directly using only a Flash drive. Being age 61, I don't have much knowledge about this music download thing! I have simply downloaded songs from Wal-Mart, and stored in Windows Media Player, and burned a few CDs. Is there a way I can get the songs off Windows Media, onto a flash drive, that is not protected? I tried copying from a cd unto USB, and that didn't work either.

Thanks for that info. In reading other posts, it appears that some have played music directly using only a Flash drive. Being age 61, I don't have much knowledge about this music download thing! I have simply downloaded songs from Wal-Mart, and stored in Windows Media Player, and burned a few CDs. Is there a way I can get the songs off Windows Media, onto a flash drive, that is not protected? I tried copying from a cd unto USB, and that didn't work either.

Hello Wafn,

Sorry if I didn't explain this completely. Let me rephrase a bit. You most certainly CAN play music on SYNC from a USB flash drive. You cannot, however, play PROTECTED content from these USB flash drive devices. You can think of protected content as a locked file that requires a key to be played from a device. Your computer and the devices I mentioned above can use these "keys", while simple devices like USB Flash Drives cannot (they can only store the locked file).

Now, let's talk about how protected content is obtained. If you download songs online from sources like Wal-Mart, MSN Music, iTunes, Zune Marketplace, and so on, that content comes protected. Normally when you rip CDs to you computer, that content comes unprotected. There is a setting in Windows Media Player that determines whether the music you rip from CDs will be protected or not. By default it's unchecked but you should have a look to see if it is for you or not. You'll be looking in the "Options" menu. Here's a screenshot of what it looks like:

wmpoptions.jpg

If it's unchecked, you should be able to rip music from CDs, copy that music to your USB flash drive, and enjoy your favorite tunes in your new Ford Edge.

I hope you found this information helpful.

Edited by Marcus (Microsoft)

I have my music stored in iTunes. Is it possible to load songs onto a USB Flash drive from iTunes?

Not if you bought it from the iTunes store, it's copy protected, you would need to burn the tracks to an Audio CD and rip them, or find some other way that lets you convert them to an unprotected file format.

iTunes+ tracks are not protected and you can put those directly on the drive.

Edited by CreamEDGE.