16" winter rims

ptolmy

Hey everyone, new to the forum here (very nice!) and I have a burning question.

I have some nice 16" winter tires that I was using on my old Escape, I was wondering if I could buy some 16" steel rims and use them on my new Edge. I compared the tires next to my 18's and the outside diameter is about the same. But the tricky part is will the brakes clear a 16" rim?

I heard conficting reports - some say that the rims Ford sells as Mustang winter wheels will fit, some say they won't...

Has anyone tried to do this, or knows for sure if this will or will not work??

Thanks!!

I have no idea if that would work, but why go to all the trouble. I live in Minnesota and just went through our first major snow storm. The stock tires on the 18" rims go through the snow with ease. It's the best snow car I ever had and it doesn't even have all-wheel drive. It's hard to tell if the roads are slippery with the Edge. It's amazing in the snow and I don't have to worry about my wife getting stuck somewhere. Either way, good luck with that. Enjoy your Edge! God bless.

You're right - it's really good in the snow! We just had a foot and half up here and the stock tires held up very well.

I have the awd and didn't have any problems at all - it's just that when it starts to get colder -20,-30 etc (I'm in Canada) the softer rubber of a snow tire really helps when driving on ice. I think I'm going to start calling around to different dealers to try to find out for sure...

Thanks for your reply, so far the Edge is fantastic!

I would be cautious because even the SE comes with 17" rims so going down to 16" rims might have clearance issues. Best bet is to call ford or a local tire shop and ask them. The only reason I would swap out my rims and tires in the winter is so the salt doesn't harm the rims, traction like you said is not a problem with AWD.

I Love the winter here in New England I hope the snow stays through the winter cold with no snow is not fun

• 4 weeks later...
You might check out the Tire Rack web site as they have a computer that tells what wheels will fit virtually any car ot truck.

16"s will work and clear the rotors with about plenty of room and calipers with about 3/4". I had a set of custom Twisted Vista S rims off my Sport Trac I was going to set up as snows as well, but the tire shop drilled the air plugs in the middle of the rim which created clearance issues with the caliper. If you had some rims with the plugs on the outside like normal you shouldn't have any issues.