Verizonwireless...phone capatibilty..what's available?

Just picked up '08 Edge with nav & sync last evening.. I've been waiting for the edge to come in before I upgrading the cell phone ....

need some advise with selecting a verizon plan phone...I've read the info @sync my ride.. There must be more information than what is available there..are there so few phones offered by verizon at this moment that support the feature rich sync capabilities...Your comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Seems like the other carriers are offering phones with more features that allow the "enhanced Sync experience" ...text message based stuff.

Before I pull the trigger on a new phone...thought I'd consult the masses ...

thanks in advance....

By the way Sync is very impressive..

Try this link:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1610

npggirl posted good reviews about Verizon's Voyager.

Hey, thanks SHIZZY!

Yes, from what I can tell...there are MANY verizon phones that connect and work well with SYNC...

The only thing I have found is the text messaging does not work...Now, I am unsure if this is due to Verizon "blocking" some bluetooth capabilities, or, if it is just the two phones I have tried...But, my previous phone was the Moto Q, a smart phone, and it did all sorts of things, yet still I could not send a txt via SYNC....My new phone, the Voyager, which actually works more flawlessly than the Q, does everything, again, except Txt...So, I am thinking it is Verizon blocking certain bluetooth capabilities....

I am also thinking that most any phone from Verizon with Bluetooth will do exactly what my new phone does...

Edited by npggirl

Hey, thanks SHIZZY!

Yes, from what I can tell...there are MANY verizon phones that connect and work well with SYNC...

The only thing I have found is the text messaging does not work...Now, I am unsure if this is due to Verizon "blocking" some bluetooth capabilities, or, if it is just the two phones I have tried...But, my previous phone was the Moto Q, a smart phone, and it did all sorts of things, yet still I could not send a txt via SYNC....My new phone, the Voyager, which actually works more flawlessly than the Q, does everything, again, except Txt...So, I am thinking it is Verizon blocking certain bluetooth capabilities....

I am also thinking that most any phone from Verizon with Bluetooth will do exactly what my new phone does...

That is just wrong. Have you called Verizon to see why it's not working?

Not that you don't have anything else to do today.

That is just wrong. Have you called Verizon to see why it's not working?

Not that you don't have anything else to do today.

*chuckles* Yes, as You know, I am slammed with work today...as usual

But no, I actually have not called them....I just know they put a lock down on their phones bluetooth capabilities....that is just like, I cannot send songs via bluetooth to other bluetooth phones because of Verizon...BUT...from what I have been reading...Verizon is going to be working with Googles new "Android" system, and they will be letting us do a lot more with out bluetooth..(and a lot more period). I hope so, because I really like a lot of things about Verizon....their only fault from what I can tell,is the blocking of some bluetooth functions...

Edited by npggirl

*chuckles* Yes, as You know, I am slammed with work today...as usual

But no, I actually have not called them....I just know they put a lock down on their phones bluetooth capabilities....that is just like, I cannot send songs via bluetooth to other bluetooth phones because of Verizon...BUT...from what I have been reading...Verizon is going to be working with Googles new "Android" system, and they will be letting us do a lot more with out bluetooth..(and a lot more period). I hope so, because I really like a lot of things about Verizon....their only fault from what I can tell,is the blocking of some bluetooth functions...

Called verizonwireless tech support this evening...they have NO IDEA...reading from a script card..LOL

They told me that any phone should work...typical salesman approach..I'm an engineer..I know better.

They suggested I try phonescoop.com...didn't see anything there...guess I will just take a chance or patiently hold off a bit...

Oh, by the way Ford needs to get their "syncmyride" site fully functional so that other owners can share tricks, problem solutions, list products that don't play well with Sync. I am more that willing to be part of any testing Ford would like me to do..just ask guys...

My specific need is to have full text messaging functional.....I assume If this works, so will the rest of the basic phone interface.

Good dialog...thanks

glad to hear....please confirm that all Sync SMS (text messaging) functions are fully operational with this phone...I've been hearing that some folks are having trouble with certain cell phones.

Like me, the first thing I thought was that SYNC was indeed faulty.

While SYNC paired my LG VX8300 immediately, the 'download phonebook' failed each time. I was very frustrated and took my new car down to the dealership. Even the 'techies' there were stumped after 1/2 hour of trying and suggested that I may have a faulty system.

And for anybody who has gone to Synchmyride.com will quickly learn that the FAQ and troubleshooting is pretty barren and unhelfpul. There isn't even a phone number to call MS on this, just an email address.

Well....I decided to check my Verizon's firmware. Come to find out my phone was 3 software versions behind...something most people overlook. I took my phone to Verizon, and they were able to flash the internal chip to version 4, and voila!!!! SYNC downloaded my phonebook flawlessy in 10 seconds, and works fine.

So make sure you update to the latest firmware via your wireless carrier. It was overlooked at first and caused a lot of frustration the 1st 24 hours for me. :finger:

Well....I decided to check my Verizon's firmware. Come to find out my phone was 3 software versions behind...something most people overlook. I took my phone to Verizon, and they were able to flash the internal chip to version 4, and voila!!!! SYNC downloaded my phonebook flawlessy in 10 seconds, and works fine.

So make sure you update to the latest firmware via your wireless carrier. It was overlooked at first and caused a lot of frustration the 1st 24 hours for me. :finger:

email I rec'd from VZ today, I removed the Vz employees name....(finally got a straight answer)

Currently, Verizon Wireless does not offer any phones with the voice to text capability.. I am unable to provide information regarding which equipment is being considered or approximate release dates, as this may raise expectations that may not be met.

You may also receive free e-mail updates as to when new products and services are available. To receive your free e-mail update please click on the following link, to view the "E-mail Updates" page of our website:

www.verizonwireless.com/emailupdates

There are several wireless phones being tested for functionality and reliability with our network. Verizon Wireless will not offer a product or service unless it meets the high standards our customers have come to expect. Verizon Wireless is constantly improving the services, features, and wireless phones we offer to our customers for their communication needs.

We appreciate your loyalty to our wireless products and services, and we are committed to resolving your concerns.

I make it my personal goal to provide the best customer service in the industry. I hope that I have done that for you today. We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

(removed name)

Verizon Wireless

Customer Service