why so high of a rpm?

yodawagon

this is my first post. im a ford sales man, who owns a 2007 chevy tahoe. after spending alot of time on the lot, ive decided that the tahoe might get replaced. long story short, ive been taking alot of "test drives", and have noticed the edges engine really revs up high, which doesnt yield much get up and go. i would have thought that with a 6 speed auto, it would shift alot sooner. the brakes also are kind of soft. also noticed the engine is really loud. im not complaining, just making observations. has anyone else noticed these things? am i noticing these things because im going from a tahoe to a edge? either way, i might have some money to spend after my employee pricing, minus incentives, minus holiday employee cash. im thinking head rest monitors, body kit, and remote start. i was able to talk our buyer into changing the order on a edge into what i wanted. it will be a limited AWD, vista roof, navigation, 20 inch wheels w/ sport suspension package, black clear coat paint, and charcoal leather interior.

There have been numerous threads about the brakes being a bit soft. As far as no get up and go, maybe you just need to step on it harder. Remember, you are going from the Tahoe with a aprox. 300hp 5.3 liter V-8 engine to a smaller displacement V-6. They do move!! You may not be used to the power band. It does tend to make power more in the higher rpm range. I think that might help to get better cruising mpg. Ours does shift up to 6th under very light throttle even at speeds as low as 35. Like 1200 rpm.. As far a s noise, we got the catback exhaust so more is better!!

i come from a GM family, so this would be a big step. the edge is just so darn cool though.

I have been 100% "Bow Tie" my whole life. My dad had many Vette's and trucks. Chevy everything. Engines in boats, RV chassis you name it. I am on my 3rd Chevy truck, but when it came down to getting my wife a new vehicle when we needed to upsize for our baby, we found the Edge. The rest is history. We couldn't be happier with it

maybe your not DRIVING it. We drive it like the truck and the car it replaced, our edge has tons of get up and go

it does though at 60 in cruise feel like its at teh low end of the pwer band.

but on the highway at 70+ it pulls great and we still get 20-21 mpg

they marketed this great liitl gem to the wrong crowd. we are over 40 nearer 50 and its a perfect fit, easy to get in to for old brokens bones and the seats are great on my husbands bad back

The brake pedal does have a lot of travel for sure. She'll stop, but it takes a bit more pedal action then what most are used too. I've gotten used to it, but still is the only thing I'm not crazy about. When you are in higher-effort stops-like 50mph roads where you are 1 sec behind not stopping for the light and have to get on it, the power feels much more normal. It makes 45mph heavy traffic take a bit more mental effort. Following a car a hair too close in traffic(the 'zone' where you're not on their ass, but you don't want everyone cutting in front of you), it feels a bit mushy. I may upgrade it myself for a set of front upgraded suv brakes(like ceramic HP units) to give it a bit more initial bite, its not that expensive to just change pads, about $50 and an hour's work.

The 6-speed will get a bit 'smarter' with more driving time getting used to your style(and breaking in in general). There are still a few points at certain speeds or throttle inputs it will rev a little high without being provoked(i.e. high-revs, no real thrust), but all automatics are like that at some point. Its as if it went one gear down further then your foot was trying to get it to do. But the upshifts in normal driving and the 6-5th downshift are liquid smooth. Even the most sophisticated transmissions have holes in the programing. But going from a stop with the pedal mashed or flooring it at 55mph yields a lot of thrust.

Its not mind boggling, but plenty peppy for the vehicle type. Every once in a while I'll give it half throttle and it will go one gear too low albeit very smoothly, but be revving much higher then I thought, as if it thought I was going to floor it. Its nothing like older 4 speeds though where you often get stuck between either too low a gear for a super dramatic downshift and uncomfortably high revs or the next gear down and there's absolutely 0 thrust even with the pedal mashed. It has a redline well over 6k rpm's, so 4k which sounds very high for a typical V8, is really not even in the optimum power range just yet. If you were trading from a modern V6 Japanese sedan, you would feel right at home, if you're coming from a low-rpm, high torque V8 truck it will be quite a different beast. You'll get used to it :)

Edited by kevinb120