"downgrading

dnjhot

Hi,

I just purchased the MKX Monochrome LE last night. When I did a test drive a couple of weeks ago, it was on the non-LE model w/ 18" rims.

I was concerned about how the 20" rims would ride compared to the 18", and for me, I prefer the 18", but I really wanted the monochrome LE version.

I just went back to the dealer, less than 24 hours after purchase, and asked to downgrade to the 18" rims by swapping w/ another vehicle on the lot. (For the record, the first salesperson I spoke to told me I could do this). From my perspective, this would be to the dealers benefit as the 20" rims are a $900 add-on option to a non-LE.

The sales manager was an a$$hole and had a flippant attitude that pretty much said, "we got your money, now go away". I left feeling like I made a mistake. My last three car purchases were all Lexus and they bend over backwords, even after the sale to make you happy.

Not here!

So, since I'm likely going to have to make this switch on my own, my question for the forum is this (actually two questions):

1) What's an appropriate price to sell the 20" rims w/ tires for?

2) Does anyone w/ the 18" chrome rims want to swap with me?

I live in the SF bay area, so it would need to be a local swap. My only stipulations are that you have less than 1k miles on the tires and there is no road rash on the rims.

too bad about your dealer - where did you get your MKX from? i would expect a polite 'no' at least after purchasing a lincoln!

just a reminder (i do this everytime i read about switching wheels) - make sure the new wheel and tire outside diameter is the same as your 20's + tire o/d.

good luck

Hi,

I just purchased the MKX Monochrome LE last night. When I did a test drive a couple of weeks ago, it was on the non-LE model w/ 18" rims.

I was concerned about how the 20" rims would ride compared to the 18", and for me, I prefer the 18", but I really wanted the monochrome LE version.

I just went back to the dealer, less than 24 hours after purchase, and asked to downgrade to the 18" rims by swapping w/ another vehicle on the lot. (For the record, the first salesperson I spoke to told me I could do this). From my perspective, this would be to the dealers benefit as the 20" rims are a $900 add-on option to a non-LE.

The sales manager was an a$$hole and had a flippant attitude that pretty much said, "we got your money, now go away". I left feeling like I made a mistake. My last three car purchases were all Lexus and they bend over backwords, even after the sale to make you happy.

Not here!

So, since I'm likely going to have to make this switch on my own, my question for the forum is this (actually two questions):

1) What's an appropriate price to sell the 20" rims w/ tires for?

2) Does anyone w/ the 18" chrome rims want to swap with me?

I live in the SF bay area, so it would need to be a local swap. My only stipulations are that you have less than 1k miles on the tires and there is no road rash on the rims.

I just purchased my 08 MKX w/ the 18" chrome rims and would be willing to do a swap for your 20's. I am in central Cal, Bakersfield, CA and they only have 200 miles and counting on the tires.

Edited by Timmyz MKX

I just purchased my 08 MKX w/ the 18" chrome rims and would be willing to do a swap for your 20's. I am in central Cal, Bakersfield, CA and they only have 200 miles and counting on the tires.

Hi Timmyz,

I literally just received a call from my dealer an hour ago and my saleswoman pleaded my case to the owner and they agreed to do the swap for me.

I think it was just the sales manager being a jerk (surprise!). Once the nice lady that sold me the vehicle returned to work and talked some sense into everyone, they saw the light and decided to do the swap tomorrow morning.

Make sure you test drive one w/ 20's before you go that route. If you were drawn to the MKX by the comfortable/quiet ride, as I was, I will tell you there is a difference.

Dean

Yea, the 20's are a bit noisy. I even drove a base SE Edge for a few days with bad weather and noticed how much smoother the ride was, as most of the ones we stock run on 18"s. I drove a limited Edge with the 20's and you could definitely hear more road noise. On the flip side, you do feel sidewall curl and notice the gain/loss of handling crispness as well between the sizes. I think the 18"s are probably the best compromise. Too bad on the Edge they don't offer the sport handling package with the 18"s. Usually when you are buying/just bought something, always try to work the salesperson to work the manager for you first :)

Typically dealer's don't like swapping wheels or things like trunk spoilers on Mustangs because if a dealer wants to do an exchange, comes down and has a porter pick the vehicle up with a check for the car, and THEN the other dealer finds out it has something not on the invoice for their own customer(usually the car is sold and paid for before they even get it to the dealer) it causes problems. Not everybody is that in the know with every inventory piece and only one or two people even know it was changed. In your case it was a win/win situation for the most part and everybody is a little slow right now in sales, so I'm surprised they gave you flack about it-its not like they couldn't rotate them again to another unit as it's an upgrade per se-but most dealers don't look at it that way and think of it as tampering with inventory. The managers are not that involved personally with each sale like a salesperson so swapping parts sounds even less favorable to them. They still should of made it clear why it was an issue politely though and not give you any sense of being barked at.

Edited by kevinb120