Ford Fusion owner from Wisco.. on the EDGE?

WiscoPat

Hey everyone!

As the thread title states, I own a Ford Fusion...a 2012 SEL V6 jam packed loaded. I love this car and am looking for a smaller (read; Ranger) pick up or possibly a CUV such as the EDGE. My experience with Ford in the distant past have been lack luster at best as I have had a few of them go belly up on the highway leaving me stranded and po'ed! I had all bust resigned myself to buying nothing but Japanese and Korean cars from then on in. That is, until I test drove (for shiggles) a 2012 Fusion SEL with a 3.0L V6.. That pretty much sold me on the Fusion and the Fusion for the dealer..to me!

I find myself now looking at adding a second vehicle to the stable. I test drove a 2008 Edge SEL AWD with 146K on the clock last night at an area dealer and was mildly impressed! The only reason I was only mildly impressed was due to the lack of some of the creature comforts my Fusion offers ie; leather, power moonroof, dual climate control..etc I am not pulling the trigger on anything just yet til I do my due diligence. That's what brought me to these boards.

I'm looking to share experiences with Ford and glean usable information to make an informed decision whether the Edge is the best fit. Thanks for having me and answering my questions going forward. Hope to learn a lot here and share some in the process. See y'all on the boards!

Edited by WiscoPat

About the AWD, make sure the PTU doesn't leak. A lot of older model Edges had that problem. Chances are the one you test drove already had that problem and it was fixed.

I'd also look into a newer Edge with MFT and sync.

But I love my Edge. Had it for a year and no issues whatsoever. Drives like a dream.

Thanks for the feedback. I have read that there are a lot of problems with the Power Transfer Units on these CUVs.. I plan to use the vehicle for towing two mid size ATVs on the weekend, so I am wondering if the Edge will hold out.. The whole PTU seal thing has got me wondering if I should look elsewhere.. smh

About the AWD, make sure the PTU doesn't leak. A lot of older model Edges had that problem. Chances are the one you test drove already had that problem and it was fixed.

I'd also look into a newer Edge with MFT and sync.

But I love my Edge. Had it for a year and no issues whatsoever. Drives like a dream.

For Me It would be hard to beat the Edge SPORT

Good Power, Good MPG, Loaded with options, Looks Nice, and so far no problems !

I should also mention that my budget won't allow for a newer model. I have around $12k to deal with (cash) and thats about it.

Accident/Maintenance history? Carfax/Autocheck & OASIS report (Ford) are a must IMHO. Mostly highway driven, mixed, or city mostly? Do you have any warranty coming with it? There are a bunch of services due at the 150K mark, so unless EVERYTHING I mentioned checks out superclean, and unless you leave room in the annual budget for repairs (due to it being an older vehicle) I'd not buy the Edge at this time.

• 2 weeks later...

You're going to be happier putting your $12K in the bank and chipping away at it to lease a new one. Should be some great deals to be had on a new '14 Edge. That let's you put off the buying decision for a few years while you drive new and under warranty. And then at lease-end perhaps you'll be in a better position to own it outright by financing the balance at that point. At least you'll know what you're getting at that point. Just some food for thought.