Oil Filter clarification!!

carguy75

I reread some of the posts I made about oil filter life in a my previous oil change thread and decided that I should have been more clear in my opinion about oil filter life.

In my earlier posts I stated that non-extended drain oil filters become clogged at 3k miles.

I should have said that some cheaper oil filters have been known to clogged and go into bypass mode as early as 3k miles.

However, there are extended drain oil filters that will filter the oil longer.

The OEM filters life vary from automaker, but I assume that they can go as long as the factory recommendation for oil change intervals.

My opinion about 4k oil changes is mostly due to my stop-and-go driving style and hot climate, which is hard on engine oils.

I just change my oil filter and oil early, old habit. :)

I know some owners in this forum has been doing longer oil changes with the same oil filters no problem, so I am not saying that my opinion is the only correct way.

I have read various articles over the years from various forums/blogs(including Bob the oil guy site) that says that oil filters needs to be considered when going for longer oil changes when switching to extended drain oils, so my point was to address that oil filters can be a weak link in an long oil drain interval.

Especially, if using a factory oil filter that is not spec for longer oil changes if the oil was the only thing upgraded.

The Ford Edge OEM filter seems like it is good to go the distance according to some other members(plus it has a large filter media to hold more dirt), but I have not used it until now so I will not know how well it filters until I check the oil at 4k miles and check the color.

I have had some cars that still had amber colored oil at 4k miles, and some that had black/burnt looking oil as soon as 3k miles depending on the filter/oil used, so I will have to see what the Ford Edge oil looks like at 4k to decide whether to extend it or keep my present interval while using Mobile 1 5w-20.

Is it a perfect analysis of oil filter quality/status, probably not, but it have served well me over the years. :)

Edited by carguy75