Treo 650 and SYNC.... no dice

Been having some slow emails with Tier II tech at Ford and here are some tidbits I got. not totally helpful or a fix per se, but figured I would just post up what I learned from them. might aid someone?

First email with directions (which we pretty much know already) but which seem a little incomplete at step 6.

Pairing with a Treo 650:

1. On your Treo 650, press Applications Launcher .

2. Launch the Bluetooth application.

3. At the top of the screen, make sure Bluetooth is on.

4. Select Setup Devices.

5. On the next screen, select Hands-Free Setup.

6. You'll see the Handsfree Setup screen with introductory text ("This guide will help you pair your Treo..."). press the Handsfree Setup and then Next to begin pairing

Then I got this - I underlined the portion of interest as it kind of implies a different method (initiated via the Ford Sync system) than above (initiated via the Treo BT app):

The situation described is known, though the extent of the issue has not been clearly defined. We have found that the Treo 650 does not pair with Sync on a consistent basis, though when paired and connected it seems to have no further trouble connecting in the future. As this is not a device that has been tested by the Sync engineers, we can not verify this claim as being accurate. It is based entirely on the troubleshooting results we have had with other customers. Our suggestion is to continue attempting to pair your phone, thought it may be helpful to have Sync find your phone using the Find Devices option or using a Special PIN. Those options are available during the pairing process, the former by pressing the Seek arrows when Find Sync is shown, the latter is available by pressing the Seek arrows when the PIN is shown on the screen.

The Sync system I originally tried to Sync with was the more basic scrolling text radio without the interactive touch screen Sync they mention above.

Thanks Lex, I'm going to link your post to one of our corporate support people who is fielding the calls.

We have replaced most of our 650's with various versions of the 700

To answer an earlier question, yes our Treos are windows based. That was done apparently to align it with all our other systems for a "seamless" integration.

My 700 was paired up until this afternoon when it suddenly stopped. Took me half an hour to get it paired up again (just kept trying until it gave up and let me win!).

Has anyone figured out how to take a call waiting call on the treo/sync combo. Normally on the treo you just answer the second call and use the swap screen. I have no success figuring out how to do it when I am connected to sync. Yes I have gone through the guide book looking for the solution. I just ignore the second call and check my voicemail or view the number on the treo after the fact.

I really like the integrated blue tooth feature and have dropped all my ear peice connections. I don't even use the blue tooth headsets now. Its either the car or hold it to my head like a regular phone. Now if I can find a home office cordless phone that uses bluetooth connections I am in business !

• 2 weeks later...

here is a little bit of a kind of update I just found today....

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articl...5e4fa2a22ea.htm

this clearly says, posted Feb 4th

"Among the company's new products, Coster said, will be a version of the Centro with phone service from AT&T Inc. and Verizon Communications Inc. An exclusive deal with Sprint Nextel Corp. will expire soon, he wrote."

this is very good news in this arena as it is a BT 1.2 compatible phone, with the Palm OS (so we can still use our years worth of data and downloaded apps), inexpensive phone getting good reviews, and the Sprint one IS on the Ford Sync list... so one would assume (with fingers crossed) the Verizon one would as well.

Edited by Lex Talionis

• 2 weeks later...

New update.. seems to work for some, but not others:

"1st I made a hard reset on both my palm and SYNC, then I started all the sync process again and when you get the 6 digit pin on the SYNC screen press << >> to see other options, it will show you a SPECIAL PIN option, if you select this, it will set the SYNC pin number to 0000, after that just put this 0000 code into the palm and that’s it. I tried it in both phones and it is working great."

pretty scary making a hard reset as that level erases all your data.. of course one would hope data is backed up.. but kind of an odd move

Edited by Lex Talionis

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a new claim:

1. Add Device

2. Select Handsfree Device

3. Select Next

4. Tap on Sync when it appears in Discover Results

5. It will ask for a code

6. Do not enter the 6 digit PIN that is displayed on the radio

7. Instead, press the Seek> button to see other options

8. It will show you "Special Pin Option"

9. Hit OK

10. It will display "0000"

11. NOW, ENTER "0000" INTO YOUR PALM AND IT WILL WORK!

not sure yet if this is doable on a Ford with the Navigation/Media unit - or just the basic radio system. Post #26 above eludes to this as it says "it may be helpful to have Sync find your phone using the Find Devices option or using a Special PIN. Those options are available during the pairing process, the former by pressing the Seek arrows when Find Sync is shown, the latter is available by pressing the Seek arrows when the PIN is shown on the screen.