Purchased Grille inserts, 2011 edge limited. Couple questions...

buffaloedge

Hello fellow Edge enthusiasts. I just recently ordered the primed 3 piece grill insert described in the following link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-thru-2014-Edge-OEM-Genuine-Ford-Parts-Custom-Grille-Grill-Inserts-NEW-/161104896124?fits=Make%3AFord%7CModel%3AEdge

I am going to have it painted. Debating on black or white (my limited is white). Any opinions on color?

My big question is has anyone gone the grill insert method to change the color of their grille? If so, does these inserts fit over existing chrome or do you remove the original before installing these 3 pieces? If you do in fact remove the original, anyone have detailed instructions? Also, instructions on how to install the newly painted inserts either over existing grill or without existing grill. Any and all info would be appreciated. Thanks!!

If you tried a SEARCH on the forums you will find many posts about how to paint the grill inserts, how to Plastic Coat the grill inserts, how to wrap film around the grill inserts, and how to remove the bumper in order to remove the grill inserts.

Some owner's who did the grill insert removal/mods posted their experiences which is where you can find a lot of useful information.

Here is one link to start you off in the right direction hopefully.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/11588-remove-front-bumper-on-2013-edge/

Edited by ls973800

In the process of dipping my grills right now, yes the bumper has to come off to get the inserts out. But the bumper comes off in about 10 mins. If I was you I would cancel the order if possible and just plastidip your current chrome ones. I took mine out to do the dipping but you could leave them in and mask around them. I'm now not sure if I want to add the plastidip gloss or leave it matte black.

Edited by Jake Hintz

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your replies! I ended up plasti dipping chrome grill, left on and masked around them. Also dipped my rims black and also the edge, limited and awd emblems. Also blacked out large ford emblems in front and back but didn't like it so removed them. Went with white dip on spoilers below front and back bumpers and also dipped the bottom of doors and rocker panels. Just added the carbon fiber rally stripe yesterday. Let me know what you all think.

post-3715-0-66717700-1430701806_thumb.jpg

post-3715-0-51108400-1430701839_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Question on the dipped panels.

Once you dip the textured plastic does it become smooth?

I am thinking about wrapping my Edge but I would like to do the lower pieces as well. If you wrap that textured plastic in vinyl it won't last, so I might try dipping it first and then wrapping over that. I guess worst case I can take the dip off and I'm right back to where I started.

Dipping the lower plastic def makes it smoother. I had no probs getting my vinyl rally stripe to adhere to dipped portion or bottom spoiler. I put probably 8-10 coats of dip on the rough plastic. Once you get to final 3 coats, I applied it real smooth by moving can in to maybe 3-4"of surfice I was dipping.

• Like 2